Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Which Except. Stories use rare items/qualities? Messages in this topic - RSS

Televangelist
Televangelist

6/29/2017
Hi all,

Without spoiling anything about the stories themselves, I want to create a list of Exceptional Stories where having rare items or qualities unlocks some supplementary content, however small. I'm the sort of person who's always kicking myself if I miss these sort of things, and I think it'd be good to have a non-spoiler-y list all in one place. I've only got a few so far off the top of my head:

Lost in Reflections: Completion of Court of Cats / Connected:Glass
Discernment: Coruscating Soul
The Last Dog Society: The Gift
The Seven-Day Reign: Completion of Long-Lost Daughter and/or Inconvenienced By An Aunt
The Pentecost Predicament: Pentecost Ape
Flint: Acquaintance with Silas the Showman
The Calendar Code: Completion of Lost in Reflections
The Frequently Deceased: Possession of Starveling Cat / Exquisite Toy / Broken Toy / Hand of Glory
Where You And I Must Go: SMEN
The Chimney Pot Wars: SMEN

Sinning Jenny's Finishing School: Completion of The Frequently Deceased and/or Lost In Reflections and/or The Gift
Fourth Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers: Combo of Trade in Souls and Regretful Soldier storyline
The Gift: Acquaintance with The Captivating Princess
Mysteries of the Foreign Office: Completion of Hojotoho

Anyone have more to add? Reply with additions and I'll put them here. Zero spoilers, please!
edited by Televangelist on 7/8/2017
+6 link
Fadewalker
Fadewalker

3/18/2019
A Trade in Faces
Uncovering the Secrets of the Face-Tailor.

Blemmigan Affairs
Mask of the Rose. But I think you can still buy it at that point.
Black Wings or Oblivion? Not sure, but with that icon.

Rubbery Murders
Renown Rubbery 10. I know it is easy but I did it too early to satisfy it.

Court of Cats(201506)
Your Plant.

Lost in Reflection(201507)
As is said: Glass. Court of Cat.

Last Dog Society(201508)
Held in Esteem by the Crew of the Galatea. So the Gift.
Experienced Zailor, for flavor probably.

Cut With Moonlight(201509)
Young Stags Club, for flavor probably.

Discernment(201510)
Spirifer/Sheperd.
Probably Blemmigan Affairs.
Coruscating Soul.
A Stain on Soul.
Brass Skull? Not sure.
115 Muscaria Brandy. (No, that's not worth it.)

Flint I (201511)
Uncovering the Secrets of the Face-Tailor.
An mask icon. Trade in Faces probably.
The Big Rat things.
A branch of Knife&Candles, with Order Vespertine icon. I suspect it is no longer that now, but I know nothing about the replacement.
Presbyterate Diplomat. Black Ribbon. Implacable Detective. Dilmun. University. Regretful Soldier. Sardonic Music-Hall Singer. Repentant Forger. Silas the Showman.

Flint II(201512)
Nothing special I think.

Art of Murder(201601)
Connection: the Masters icon.
Order Vespertine icon.
Vermin Free icon.

Waltz(201602)
Death experience. Nadir experience. Quite high scandal?

Frequently Deceased(201603)
Clayman icon.
Respectable.
Wine Cellar Icon.
As said, plus Unearthly Fossils and Corsair Hat, perhaps they are not rare.

Seven-Day Reign(201604)
Aunt. Long lost daughter. Young Stag Club.

Pentecost Predicament(201605)
Pentecost Ape.

Five Minutes to Midday(201606)
Regretful Soldier.

Chimney Pot War(201607)
SMEN.

Calendar Code(201608)
Lost in Reflections.

Where UNI must go (201609)
SMEN
Wry Functionary? Not sure if needed.

Our Lady of Pyres(201610)
Not found in my record.

The Final Curtain(201611)
Glass.

The Persona Engine(201612)
Not found in my record.

The Twelve-Fifteen from Moloch Street(201701)
Soulless.

The Century Exhibition (201702)
Not found in my record.

The Clay Man's Arm(201703)
Comtessa.

The Heart, the Devil and the Zee(201704)
Not found in my record.

HOJOTOHO! (201705)
Not found in my record.

The Web of the Motherlings (201706)
Dilmun.

All Things Must End (201707)
Not found in my record.

The Attendants (201708)
Not found in my record.

Trial and Error (201709)
Not found in my record

Noise from Upstairs(201903)
Nothing of importance.
Can't quite sure whether the Cut with Moonlight is required. It shares the same icon with this ES's event development quality. I think probably there isn't. Unless my memory is twisted by the moonlight.

--
A fervent supporter of the Council and the Masters.
+3 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

4/26/2019
There's one option unlocked with being a member of the Young Stags.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Will trade Feast gifts for Cider! Or, you know, for Feast gifts. Just specify which you want.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

7/7/2017
All Exceptional Stories require a special quality: An Exceptional Friend.

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+2 link
suinicide
suinicide

6/29/2017
Where you and I must go provides a SMEN option, as does the chimney pot wars.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+2 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

6/29/2017
Lost in Reflections includes an extra option for having completed Court of Cats, as well as having Connected: Glass. (Both in the same place, so you only really get to use one of them)
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 6/29/2017

--
Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
+2 link
phryne
phryne

6/29/2017
Calendar Code has an option for when you've completed Lost in Reflections.

The Finishing School also has an option for when you've completed The Gift.

In a certain path of Where You & I Must Go you can meet someone from The Waltz that Moved the World. No qualities are actually used, so it's up to you whether you want to include this or not.

Televangelist: you can delete those "edited by..." notes at the end when editing your OP. It looks terrible when they add up that way wink
edited by phryne on 6/29/2017

--
VOTE in the POLL OF THE POLLS for the MOST EXCEPTIONAL STORY EVER!
Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown Guide
Don't miss the Sunless Skies launch codes!
+2 link
Tyrconnell
Tyrconnell

2/4/2019
All the Saints gives you slightly different text at the beginning based on which renown is higher or if they're equal, I believe. It's about why you get pulled into the events of the story in the first place.

--
Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
+2 link
SingingFlame
SingingFlame

2/4/2019
Steeped in Honey has alternate ways of [spoiler]gaining access to the red honey den[/spoiler] unlocked by having The Cat's Chiefest Claw, or if you've gotten past a certain point in Nemesis. I've heard Written in the Glim has a similar unlock involving Light Fingers! though I can't confirm that one since the character I played through it with doesn't have that ambition.
edited by SingingFlame on 2/4/2019

--
Matilda Ydmos, the Discerning Huntress (Nemesis)
Anne Carnacki, the Audacious Canon (Heart's Desire)
Eleanor Redrick, the Stalwart Well-Widow (Bag a Legend!)
-Any social actions welcomed-
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2/7/2019
It's from the Incarnadine Fur Robe.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Will trade Feast gifts for Cider! Or, you know, for Feast gifts. Just specify which you want.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

7/8/2017
While we're being pedantic, "An Episode for Exceptional Friends" indicates what ES teaser storylet is currently available and whether you've played it yet. You don't need to be an EF to have that quality.
edited by Optimatum on 7/8/2017

--

+2 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

2/3/2019
Cricket anyone also has extra options i you have: a normal bat, a bat with attitude, and the Wings of Thunder from the Ratcatcher.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+2 link
silurica
silurica

2/3/2019
Cricket, Anyone? also:
- Checked my Unwelcome at the University status and Featuring in the Tales of University level at one point.
- Gives an extra option if you're a Midnighter.
- Has alternate text if you own the Sceptre of Mr Wines and the Beggar's Crown (one for each item).

--
Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2/3/2019
Jolanda Swan wrote:
Cricket anyone also has extra options i you have: a normal bat, a bat with attitude, and the Wings of Thunder from the Ratcatcher.

Plus an option for the Utterly Livid Bat.

--

+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

2/4/2019
Cricket Anyone?: Sulking Bat/Bat with Attitude/Wings-of-Thunder Batling/Utterly Livid Bat. Are these options mutually exclusive?
Unwelcome at the University, Midnighter, Sceptre of Mr Wine/Beggar's Crown. Silurica, got these right? Each option for the qualities, but Wine's items are mutually exclusive.
SotC 21

Let me post the rest here. Maybe they'll jog somebody's memory:
Seasonal:
The Marriage of Feducci (Sackmas '17 Festive Tale)
The Ceremony (Sackmas '18 Festive Tale)

Exceptional stories:
The Web of the Motherlings (June 2017)
All Things Must End (July 2017)
The Attendants (August 2017)
Trial and Error (September 2017)
The Stone Guest (October 2017)
The Sinking Synod (November 2017)
Steeped in Honey (December 2017)
Lamentation Lock (January 2018)
Factory of Favours (February 2018)
The Pursuit of Moths (March 2018)
The Murgatroyd Formula (April 2018)
The Rat-Catcher (May 2018)
The Bones of London (June 2018)
Written in the Glim (July 2018)
Required Repairs (August 2018)
For all the Saints who from their Labours rest (September 2018)
The Magician's Dream (October 2018)
A Little Pandemonium (November 2018)
Daylight (December 2018)
The Price of Loss (January 2019)

While we're on the subject, can anyone offer any information about the permanent rewards Fate stories offer?
edited by Skinnyman on 2/4/2019
edited by Skinnyman on 2/4/2019

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+1 link
rahv7
rahv7

2/4/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
While we're on the subject, can anyone offer any information about the permanent rewards Fate stories offer?

I believe we cover all of these in the survey.
I've kept some the rewards vague (because spoilers), feel free to ask if you want details.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/rahv7
+1 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

2/4/2019
rahv7 wrote:
Skinnyman wrote:

I believe we cover all of these in the survey.

I've kept some the rewards vague (because spoilers), feel free to ask if you want details.
Please do, please do! If you think it's too much, a PM would be more than appreciated!

I'll probably take a break after this Feast and just log in to farm at the Court. But when I get back, I want to start going through the 24 stories that await me! Big Grin In the meantime, I can start preparing if/where is needed! That SotC option is something I want to play!

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2/4/2019
Skinnyman wrote:
Cricket Anyone?: Sulking Bat/Bat with Attitude/Wings-of-Thunder Batling/Utterly Livid Bat. Are these options mutually exclusive?
Unwelcome at the University, Midnighter, Sceptre of Mr Wine/Beggar's Crown. Silurica, got these right? Each option for the qualities, but Wine's items are mutually exclusive.
SotC 21

None of the options should be mutually exclusive. The SotC one is an alternative to a regular option, and the Unwelcome at the University was for a QLD rather than a different option iirc, but it's possible to do all in one playthrough.

--

+1 link
rahv7
rahv7

2/4/2019
Skinnyman wrote:

I made a post over here.

--
+1 link
silurica
silurica

2/4/2019
Optimatum wrote:
Skinnyman wrote:
SotC 21

None of the options should be mutually exclusive. The SotC one is an alternative to a regular option, and the Unwelcome at the University was for a QLD rather than a different option iirc, but it's possible to do all in one playthrough.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by QLD, but I've seen at least three variations of result text+title where those University-related qualities are checked, and with how thorough this ES is I won't be surprised if different combinations can yield different results. These results are mutually exclusive. I got one where I was recognized as someone from the Department of ______ in the past with A Respectable Academic+An Idealist to the End.

Wines with item/no item are also mutually exclusive (I happen to have only the Sceptre, so I only personally saw one of the two special options). I'm not quite sure about the Midnighter option since I'm not one, sorry!

Also I just remembered Written in the Glim has an option for if you have Knowledge of the Arts (from Light Fingers). I've also heard that For All the Saints checks your Hell/Church renown? Someone who has played it might be able to fill in the details.

--
Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2/13/2019
By "purely for flavor", I mean even more so than usual. It's not a case where you unlock an alternative option with no mechanical differences—using the ticket gives you some unique text, but the story won't progress until you play the regular option.

--

+1 link
rahv7
rahv7

6/30/2017
The Finishing School has two options depending on "The Gift" (one for each ending).
The Last Dog Society has an option depending on the Galatea-ending of "The Gift".
The Seven-Day Reign has some options depending on "A Long-Lost Daughter" and "An Inconvenient Aunt".

--
+1 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/7/2017
Frequently Deceased has a bit where you can use the Starveling Cat / Exquisite Toy / Broken Toy. I am not sure if it is rare enough for the list, but the Starveling Cat is too funny to not mention.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+1 link
genesis
genesis

7/7/2017
Estelle Knoht wrote:
Frequently Deceased has a bit where you can use the Starveling Cat / Exquisite Toy / Broken Toy

And Hand of Glory

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
+1 link
Azothi
Azothi

7/7/2017
Tystefy wrote:
All Exceptional Stories require a special quality: An Exceptional Friend.
If we're being pedantic, the correct quality is "An Episode for Exceptional Friends". wink I don't remember if that appears for Fate-purchased stories, but all seriousness aside, take the upvote.

--
Azoth I, the Amaranthine Wanderer - Midnighter - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
Are you seeking a taste of the Cider? Send me a request in-game. Read an_ocelot's guide to find out how.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

17 days ago
My Kingdom For A Pig has yet another load of rare unlocks! Off the top of my head: Pirate-Poet, Calendar Code, any Fidgeting Writer item, In Search of A Stiff Drink, and The Gift all unlock alternate options with different text; the stories also change the text based on the ending. Being a Doctor, Poet-Laureate, and Blemmigan Hat unlock options with extra rewards.
edited by Optimatum on 6/28/2019

--

+1 link