Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

July's Exceptional Story: All Things Must End Messages in this topic - RSS

Barse
Barse

7/11/2017
Serpentseer wrote:
Will I be able to purchase it and still enjoy the Seasonal Epilogue once the three stories have passed? I am quite fearful of having completely missed the opportunity by not unlocking it in the Seasonal Hub.

Yep! As long as you've played all 3 stories you can play the epilogue, it doesn't matter when you play them. So just pick up Web of the Motherlings when it's made available on the Fate page and you'll be fine.

--
The Scorched Sailor, Captain of The Reckoning Postponed.
+1 link
Lazaroth
Lazaroth

7/12/2017
That makes two knock-out stories, so far. This Season is shaping up to be one of the best.

--
When all the world is washed away by misery, something beautiful will still remain.
+5 link
LillianAranach
LillianAranach

7/12/2017
snugglor wrote:

This is my first exceptional story and I really liked it. I'm at an awkward precipice in the game where I'm not quite a POSI but I've completed pretty much everything available to me, so I really welcomed the new content. Despite her creepy portrait, I was quite enamoured with the Undertaker.

This is my first season as an exceptional friend as well - the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem drew me in . All the content, especially that of this story, has been quite delightful. Exploring Tanah-Chook was really engaging.

--
They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lillian%20Aranach
+6 link
Pnakotic
Pnakotic

7/12/2017
Overall a good story, and it fleshed out a few more bits of Fallen London's capricious metaphysics; focusing on the tomb colonists as central characters rather than through hints and allusions also added some needed flesh to their existence. The carousel mechanic was also well done and not cumbersome or very repetitive (and I enjoyed some of the associated storylets quite a bit, particularly the gymnasium). Overall very good, my only complaint was a I wish it had lasted just a bit longer... but if all a story leaves me wishing for is that it hadn't had to end, that's hardly faint praise. This season is progressing nicely.

--
J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
+3 link
Katistrophe
Katistrophe

7/12/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
Going to the surface can do a lot of things to you, and many of them depend on your time in the Neath. I think if you ever died down here, you just drop dead as soon as sunlight hits you. Right to the deck, dead as a doornail.

Otherwise, it burns you somewhat, but also burns your mind.

Out of curiosity, admittedly haven't played Sunless Sea yet, but... do we know if starlight does the same?
+2 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

7/12/2017
In theory, yes.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+2 link
Aubergion
Aubergion

7/12/2017
I became an Exceptional Friend for this story and so far I feel it is well-worth the investment! So many interesting things about the tomb-colonies, and more tantalizing information of the far country.... I'd want to leave it too!

Though, I did find a small typo in the Afternoon task the Undertaker set: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aubergion?fromEchoId=12090079

It seems like it should be "a moment", or "moments"

--
Aubergion - Author-turned-Midnighter, perspicacious and flirtatious. Life is the only game that matters. Always available for friendly interactions - chess welcomed, loitering discouraged.

Lord Castameer - perpetually searching for answers, a name, acknowledgement, truth, recompense, retribution ------- a reckoning. Loitering and cats welcomed.
0 link
Harlocke
Harlocke

7/12/2017
Fantastic story. And it leaves the unsettling question of what happens if the dead finally do build their bridge...

Does anyone have journal entries for these choices I didn't make?
-Admiring the view from the ship
-Speaking to the customs officer
-Not helping with the emergence
-Recommending sunlight and the sanatorium

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
+1 link
Valiant
Valiant

7/12/2017
Harlocke wrote:
Fantastic story. And it leaves the unsettling question of what happens if the dead finally do build their bridge...

Does anyone have journal entries for these choices I didn't make?
-Admiring the view from the ship
-Speaking to the customs officer
-Not helping with the emergence
-Recommending sunlight and the sanatorium

Not assisting with emergence and Undertaker's reaction
Suggesting sunlight

--
Sir Valiant Carrington, a heartless hedonist and honorary governor of Port Carnelian. You can ask him for a sip of Cider (here's how by an_ocelot) if you catch him in London.
Farshin Jarrah, merry trickster and incorrigible optimist.
Serine, gone down the well but not forgotten.

Avatar artwork by lovely Farseer Drijya
+1 link
SleepingD
SleepingD

7/13/2017
This is absolutely one of my favourite exceptional stories so far. On the one hand the story felt very personal, the choices my character was making weren't about London politics or some scheme for personal gain, whatever I did came purely from the heart. On the other hand it touched on many Big Important Things: the Bridge, the nature of the Far Country, maintaining contact with the dead... For me it struck the perfect balance between being personally and lore relevant.

I felt the writing conveyed the atmosphere of Tanah-Chook wonderfully. After the previous story somewhat failed to deliver on the Motherlings this one did an amazing job of fleshing out (pun not intended) the Tomb Colonists (or at least this particular group of them), it really felt like brushing against a culture that is at once familiar and alien. The Undertaker was a deliciously endearing character and it felt as if her and my character actually made a small personal connection. I also love how she [spoiler]uses the character to help her make her final decision. If I didn't check other people echo the Sunlight choice I'd be sold that the Emergence was her pick all along...[/spoiler]

If I were to pick for a fault I'd say that maybe the connection between the prologue and the story proper felt a bit stretched but I am nitpicking at this point and it is absolutely stories like this that make me feel that my Exceptional Friendship is money well spent.
edited by SleepingD on 7/13/2017
0 link
dov
dov

7/13/2017
Now that the election is over, I finally got around to completing this.

This was a lovely story. A really nice blend of characters, location, and lore. It felt both intimate and personal, while at the same time introducing theological and metaphysical mega-issues (life after death, etc.).

Things I particularly liked:
  • New permanently-available location
  • Undertaker - great character
  • Lovely lore about the Tomb-Colonists: their day-to-day life, their philosophies, and metaphysical implications.
  • Nice time-of-day mechanic - provides variety, yet easy to follow

What I would have liked to see added:

• When asked by the Undertaker what path I'd choose for myself, it was unfortunate not to have an option based on having Cider (though I understand not wasting dev time on content which will only benefit a handful of players). Some of the Destinies could also have been used here (e.g. not planning to die, since I aim to become a Master / move to Parabola / etc.).

Overall I rate this pretty high among the Exceptional Stories. Full (subjective) relative ranking below:

[spoiler]

Excellent:
  • Lost in Reflections
  • Cut with Moonlight
  • Hojotoho!
  • The Frequently Deceased
  • The Waltz that Moved the World
  • Flint
  • All Things Must End
  • The Century Exhibition
  • The Twelve-Fifteen From Moloch Street
  • The Persona Engine
  • Where You and I Must Go
  • The Web of the Motherlings

Good:
  • The Pentecost Predicament
  • The Calendar Code
  • The Art of Murder
  • The Chimney Pot Wars
  • The Final Curtain
  • The Heart, the Devil and the Zee
  • Our Lady of Pyres
  • The Clay Man's Arm
  • Five Minutes to Midday
  • Discernment
  • The Haunting at the Marsh House

Meh:
  • The Last Dog Society
  • The Seven-Day Reign
  • The Court of Cats

[/spoiler]

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/13/2017
dov wrote:
When asked by the Undertaker what path I'd choose for myself, it was unfortunate not to have an option based on having Cider (though I understand not wasting dev time on content which will only benefit a handful of players).

There was kind of one, if you say 'I plan on never dying' or something to that effect.

[spoiler]To which the Undertaker replies 'sure, okay, whatever, but what would you do if you were me?'[/spoiler]
edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/13/2017

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+2 link
dov
dov

7/13/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
dov wrote:
When asked by the Undertaker what path I'd choose for myself, it was unfortunate not to have an option based on having Cider (though I understand not wasting dev time on content which will only benefit a handful of players).

There was kind of one, if you say 'I plan on never dying' or something to that effect.

[spoiler]To which the Undertaker replies 'sure, okay, whatever, but what would you do if you were me?'[/spoiler]

Yeah, I know (and took this option :-)).

But this was generic. I would have like to see a specific option based on character possessions (i.e. Cider) or qualities (i.e. Destiny)

Or even how about an option for Seekers saying: "I won't have to deal with getting old, since I'll be going NORTH". There are many possibilities.

----
edited by dov on 7/13/2017

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Richard Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
Richard Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart

7/15/2017
One small question : usualy, when going to zee, we lose many attributes (for exemple, casing is set to 0).

Is it also the case in this exceptional story ? (I am not ready to lose 200+ of casing (so more than 20 000 CP of casing ...))

--
" All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well". *
+1 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/15/2017
Richard Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart wrote:
One small question : usualy, when going to zee, we lose many attributes (for exemple, casing is set to 0).

Is it also the case in this exceptional story ? (I am not ready to lose 200+ of casing (so more than 20 000 CP of casing ...))

If you mean the first time visit where you don't go by your own ship, you don't actually set sail like a normal trip - you get teleported.

(And no, you cannot go by your own ship until you finish the story.)

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+1 link
Trilby
Trilby

7/16/2017
Can anyone inform me as to the results if you choose to purge the notes and the undertakers response?

--
|````^"""""""""""""""""""'^```|
|__________________________|
+1 link
slickriptide
slickriptide

7/16/2017
Just a head's up. The epilogue of the story is not, strictly speaking, the end of the story.

On a lark, I deliberately raised my scandal rank to levels unacceptable to London Society. One random result was that I learned something of goings-on in Tanah-Chook after my departure from its shores.
edited by slickriptide on 7/16/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Slickriptide
+1 link
snugglor
snugglor

7/17/2017
Trilby wrote:
Can anyone inform me as to the results if you choose to purge the notes and the undertakers response?

Do you mean the information from her mentor? If so, it says:
[spoiler]She leafs through the pile of notes from the Porter, lingering on one page – you cannot see which. "Ah. This is a little more succinct than usual." She doesn't look up. "I thank you for the thought, but not the act. She deserves that I know."[/spoiler]

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/snugglor

Newly a POSI and flailing in the manner of an agitated Rubbery
0 link
Trilby
Trilby

7/17/2017
snugglor wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Do you mean the information from her mentor? If so, it says:
[spoiler]She leafs through the pile of notes from the Porter, lingering on one page – you cannot see which. &quotAh. This is a little more succinct than usual.&quot She doesn't look up. &quotI thank you for the thought, but not the act. She deserves that I know.&quot[/spoiler]

And any interesting information while blotting out the notes?

--
|````^"""""""""""""""""""'^```|
|__________________________|
0 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

7/18/2017
Just finished this ES a couple of days ago, and found it delightful. I really enjoyed exploring Tanah-Chook at my own pace, and the Ebullient Undertaker was charming. There was also a lot of intriguing hints about the Far Shore and the Third City. Best of all, like Flint this ES unlocked an entirely new area to explore again at my leisure.

(Also, I just got back from the Tomb-Colonies to check out the new opportunity card that's been added to the deck there. It's quite useful.)

--
James Sinclair, a man of many interests and a singular goal.

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+3 link