Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Sunless Sea Lore, Fallen London, and more! Messages in this topic - RSS

ultrapowerpie
ultrapowerpie

6/26/2017
So with Sunless Skies coming out, and us finding out what's beyond the Gates.... Do we have more of the lore of Sunless Sea compiled somewhere for newer players? (Warning Spoilers!)

Do we have what Frostfound really is? Who really is Storm/Stone/Salt is? What really is our name, and why we needed to forget? What is the Sun's relation to this? Do we know more about the sea more sunless? (which totally exists thanks to submanirner). What does the dawn Machine actually do? What exactly is the Fallen King's relations with everyone in the sea? And what is a Pig Rock? What is the Red Science, exactly? (I know we had an exceptional quest that kinda dealt with it, but it seemed vague). What is the correspondence?

I know we've had some things in FL that also touched on some of this (mostly exceptional stories) so if that's off limits then please ignore, however I've always loved the lore of this place, and I think it'd be great if we had, somewhere, some of it compiled just as a reference material before we launch ourselves into the skies!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/ultrapowerpie
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/William%20Reaper
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jenna%20Reaper

Also, I am indeed interested in someone pming me about the Ambition:Enigma. I need it for my Mr. Eaten's character, Jenna Reaper, who is always looking to betray/accept them for people!
0 link
Machallan
Machallan

29 days ago
The wiki on SS is quite extensive and well made, but purely... factual? Leaving asid any kind of lore based speculations.
There was some kind of blog of obscure SS/FL lore, but I cannot remember the name (sadly). Other than that, as far as I know, we only have speculations here in forum topics. But I hope to be wrong and that someone will point me toward an eldorado of zee knowledge smile
0 link
Infinity Simulacrum
Infinity Simulacrum

29 days ago
A few of the more well-known ones. [spoiler]
1. Stone: Mountain-of-Light: the Bazaar's daughter in the Elder Continent.
Storm: probably the dream dragon from Recurring Dreams: What the Thunder Said...
Salt: Convoluted and confusing, but a sort of world-travelling agent called the White who went to the Uttermost East.
2.Sea more Sunless probably refers to the Sundered Sea, ie the Lacre Pits underneath the Bazaar. Either that, or the High Wilderness.
3. The Dawn-Machine is an insane artificial incomplete god that has more or less enslaved the New Sequence and wants to enslave/destroy the Neath.
4. By 'Pig rocks' I suppose you mean Stone Pigs. They're either statues, or living beings, or both, that allow travel through space.
5. The Correspondence is the language that the Judgments/gods/stars use. Speaking and writing it changes reality. [/spoiler]
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/28/2017

--
There are no Hobos in London. Possibly, there are some in Hell
0 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

29 days ago
*cough* Your spoiler tags aren't working quite right, Infinity.

Machallan, are you perhaps thinking of Saint Arthur and Saint Beau?

http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/

http://saint-beau.tumblr.com/

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
0 link
Machallan
Machallan

28 days ago
Indeed, Teaspoon, I had saint-beau in mind. I do need to take a look at saint arthur, thanks for bringing it up smile
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

27 days ago
ultrapowerpie wrote:
So with Sunless Skies coming out, and us finding out what's beyond the Gates.... Do we have more of the lore of Sunless Sea compiled somewhere for newer players? (Warning Spoilers!)

Do we have what Frostfound really is? Who really is Storm/Stone/Salt is? What really is our name, and why we needed to forget? What is the Sun's relation to this? Do we know more about the sea more sunless? (which totally exists thanks to submanirner). What does the dawn Machine actually do? What exactly is the Fallen King's relations with everyone in the sea? And what is a Pig Rock? What is the Red Science, exactly? (I know we had an exceptional quest that kinda dealt with it, but it seemed vague). What is the correspondence?

I know we've had some things in FL that also touched on some of this (mostly exceptional stories) so if that's off limits then please ignore, however I've always loved the lore of this place, and I think it'd be great if we had, somewhere, some of it compiled just as a reference material before we launch ourselves into the skies!

Some incomplete answers to your questions. Infinity Simulacrum has already answered some of these but here's more details, and in some cases corrections. Major spoilers of course abound.

[spoiler]
  • Frostfound is a castle of memories and dreams, built by Salt. It is a place in which those can be left behind.
  • Storm is the dragon who is the thunder in the FL What the Thunder Said dreams. Storm was, we think, one of the Dragons who act as space police for the Judgements, aka the stars. Storm worked for our sun and was keeping an eye on the Bazaar's progress in its quest. May or may not be dead.
  • Stone is the Mountain of Light, the mountain of glowing diamond far into the Elder Continent, and can be see in the No More Dominion ambition from Zubmariner - the city of Nidah lies at her foot. She is the illegal daughter of the Bazaar and our sun, the reason that Presbyterate citizens are so long-lived, and the source of the general immortality aura of the Neath.
  • Salt was once a Judgement, one of the stars that rule the universe and enforce the laws of reality through sunlight. It was sent here by the White, a Judgement spymaster, but entering the Neath hurt far more than it could have known. Salt at some point abandoned its role as a pawn in the Great Game of the Judgements, built Frostfound to abandon its identity, and left our world into the East. Now it is the Sun Beneath the Sea, visible when zailing East in SSea. There's really quite a lot we don't know about Salt, especially clear after SMEN returned, and hopefully we'll learn more in SSkies.
  • I'm assuming you're referring to the Name-Which-Burns and plot of Ambition: Exaltation. The Name-Which-Burns was Salt's name in the Correspondence which it cast off to East. We needed to forget ourself to become Salt - you can't be multiple people after all.
  • Side note here. Frostfound crushes identities into a point, which is what allows us to become Salt in Exaltation. It seems to cause narrative parallels in people's personal stories as part of that. The White and Salt parallels the Old Man in Vienna and the paws he sends below as part of the earthly Great Game. (Related: the FL player character may or may not have been sent to the Neath by said Old Man, according to a card in the Nadir.)
  • As mentioned earlier, our Sun is a Judgement and the father of Stone. The Bazaar was essentially a space postal worker working for our Sun. At some point the Sun sent a marriage proposal (or Judgement equivalent) to another Judgement via the Bazaar, but the other Judgement turned it down. The Bazaar had fallen in love with the Sun and was afraid it would be extinguished by grief, so hid in the Neath and is now collecting love stories for some related purpose. So the Sun's relation to this is being the reason for the FL/SSea setting to exist.
  • The sea more sunless is the High Wilderness, aka outer space where the Judgements live and SSkies will take place. It's accessible through the Avid Horizon which is presumably how we'll get there for SSkies. There's a few teaser snippets of the Wilderness for SSkies in the tether visions in Wrack, specifically Visions with the Knife.
  • The Dawn Machine is an attempt by a faction of the Admiralty to make an artificial Judgement. Unfortunately for them, it promptly became sentient and brainwashed them all. We don't know exactly what it can do but it also isn't complete yet. Hopefully it never is finished, because it's decidedly malevolent and its goals are probably bad news foTHE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN
  • Do you mean the Fathomking?
  • The Stone Pigs are symbiotes to the Bazaar that are sort-of rocket engines. We don't know much about them but I suspect that Nook may be one. (This is based off very little evidence, mind you.)
  • The Red Science can break the Great Chain and apparently scars time in the process. We don't really know much about this either but Frostfound's ruby chamber gives a little details. It may or may not be the same thing as the Shapeling Arts of the Axiles, aka the Flukes and Rubbery Men.
  • The Correspondence is the language spoken by beings higher up the Great Chain that us humans, like Judgements, dragons, the Bazaar, and the Masters. It seemingly can change reality. For all the number of times it shows up we don't actually know that much about it.
[/spoiler]

Saint-Arthur and Saint-Beau are great resources, though barely organized. If you have specific questions you can use the search feature but not so good for a general lore overview. (Also less useful now that they're defunct and you can't ask your own questions.)
edited by Optimatum on 6/30/2017

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

25 days ago
Is the Zee salty or sweet?

--

0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

25 days ago
It's saltwater.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

25 days ago
Thank you.

--

+1 link