Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

What are the letters of the Name-Which-Burns? Messages in this topic - RSS

Anchovies
Anchovies

5/2/2017
As in, what exact letter is each of the seven in the Name-Which-Burns? Is there any indication of the Name's spelling anywhere in SSea? Do any of you have personal theories about it? I don't know of any first-party lore covering the specific contents of the Name, but here's a few ideas I've come up with after thinking it over:
  • T H E N A M E is a quite literal-minded answer
  • although the old theories about a connection between Salt and Mr. Eaten don't hold much water, both C A N D L E S and M R E A T E N have seven letters. I think it's a cute coincidence.
  • alternately, Failbetter didn't ever bother to come up with a single particular spelling and decided on 7 letters for the significance of the number

edited by Anchovies on 5/2/2017

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Social actions welcome, but don't increase my Menaces without putting a warning in the invitation.
+2 link
Azothi
Azothi

5/2/2017
The Name-Which-Burns is composed of seven letters of the Correspondence, if I recall correctly (given the nature of Salt, this only makes sense), and therefore shouldn't have an English or even human equivalent. Good catch about Candles and Mr. Eaten having seven letters each though; I don't know if it was coincidental or intentional, but it's nice either way.

--
Azoth I - Midnighter - Available Watchful Patron - Long History - Appearance

Daneri, the Nothingness of Everything: Old soul. Where are you going, old soul?
+2 link
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead

5/2/2017
If you wrote down the 7 correspondence letters of the Name-Which-Burns, you would probably become the Scholar-Who-Burns.

--
McGunn/Bsymstad is open to social actions. Will usually respond because he has nothing better to do at the moment, except when zailing.
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
+5 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

5/4/2017
There's also the icon for the "Letters of the Name-Which Burns" quality, as shown here.

Unless this sigil appears elsewhere, I'd say it's reasonable to consider it a transcription of the Name-Which-Burns. Perhaps it is written with seven strokes? It's tricky to figure out which parts of it make up individual strokes, but here's my take on it. The only significant assumption I make is that the two pairs of fang-like marks are each a single stroke, inscribed with some sort of double-pronged implement.

Left island, spiral, right branch, center spiral, underline, center fangs, bottom fangs. Boom, seven, done. Thoughts?

--
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Social actions welcome, but don't increase my Menaces without putting a warning in the invitation.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5/4/2017
I highly doubt that, being seven letters in the Correspondence, the Name-Which-Burns could be transcribed as only one. It seems far more likely to me that FBG just used a random symbol to illustrate the story, as they tend to do in both SSea and FL, rather than putting in the work to make seven unique symbols just for this. I checked the game files and this does only show up around the Name-Which-Burns storyline, but then again one of the other symbols only shows up in one context, and it may well appear in FL where I can't search for it. (And judging by other Correspondence symbols and the narrowing towards one end a la brushstrokes, I'm pretty sure both those fangs are two strokes, making it nine total. It would be pretty cool if it was seven strokes exactly though, nice thinking. I wonder if any of the other symbols are...)

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

5/30/2017
Let me just solve this debate once and for all. Listen up, appetizers, I will only write this once.

That doesn't mean it'll be here when you read it again.

The name is as follows...

The first letter means "M" and "C" at the same time.

The second letter is portrayed as a "R" and an "A".

The third letter is supposed to mean "E", but it was once known as "N". No one wants to finish that argument.

The fourth letter, "A", and the fourth letter, "D", are cousins. No one is around to finish that argument.

The fifth letter, "T", can only be used when referring to a verb. Otherwise, the fifth letter means "L".

The sixth letter means "E" and "E". Both are pronounced independently from the other. Not pronounced differently, independently.

The seventh letter, commonly (read: mistakenly) referred to by the Church as "sin" is actually "S" and "N". Remember this trick to help remember: The Name ends in SN, the name ends in sin.

There you have it. The stuff Failbetter didn't want you to know.

--
Profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Tystefy

I Will Kill Mr. Eaten. (0/7) http://bit.ly/2tNiwll

Why Kill Mr. Eaten? http://bit.ly/2vhw2f2
+2 link
Infinity Simulacrum
Infinity Simulacrum

29 days ago
Torchwood202 wrote:
Let me just solve this debate once and for all. Listen up, appetizers, I will only write this once.

That doesn't mean it'll be here when you read it again.

The name is as follows...

The first letter means "M" and "C" at the same time.

The second letter is portrayed as a "R" and an "A".

The third letter is supposed to mean "E", but it was once known as "N". No one wants to finish that argument.

The fourth letter, "A", and the fourth letter, "D", are cousins. No one is around to finish that argument.

The fifth letter, "T", can only be used when referring to a verb. Otherwise, the fifth letter means "L".

The sixth letter means "E" and "E". Both are pronounced independently from the other. Not pronounced differently, independently.

The seventh letter, commonly (read: mistakenly) referred to by the Church as "sin" is actually "S" and "N". Remember this trick to help remember: The Name ends in SN, the name ends in sin.

There you have it. The stuff Failbetter didn't want you to know.

Alright, it's time someone weaned you off the Prisoner's Honey.

--
There are no Hobos in London. Possibly, there are some in Hell
+2 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

29 days ago
The name-which-burns most closely translates into English as "be sure to drink your Ovaltine".

--
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

0 link
Corvonero
Corvonero

28 days ago
Anchovies wrote:
although the old theories about a connection between Salt and Mr. Eaten don't hold much water

Hmm? Since when?

--
My main (open to all interactions):
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Apollonius

My alt, who has gone NORTH:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Corvonero
0 link
CALLNXW
CALLNXW

28 days ago
B R A N D O N
(pops collar)