Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

May's Exceptional Story: HOJOTOHO! Messages in this topic - RSS

Optimatum
Optimatum

5/24/2017
Rather, you have through tomorrow to *begin* the story. As long as you play the opening option of the story (not the global teaser), you'll unlock it. You then have as long as you need to play through.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+2 link
Finnegan
Finnegan

5/24/2017
Anchovies wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
sitting on the roof with the Valkyrie before logging off each night
Okay, this is enough to convince me, I'm gonna start my Exceptional Friendship before the month's up. How much time have I got left at this point?

Also, tangential question about Exceptional Stories in general: how do they account for differences in character progress? Finnegan just started this week and I just reached POSI this week; will I find it easier, less action-costly, or more profitable, due to my more advanced position in the game?

According to the in-game Help, the new ES comes out the last Thursday of the month, so if you want to play this one and Failbetter is on schedule then you have to sub and complete the first storylet before the 25th. If you complete that first storylet, it says you can play the rest at your leisure.

I'm obviously no expert about the other stories, but I don't remember this ES having any skill checks, just matters-of-luck (mine was all bad, of course) and story choices. The reward items were a little overpowered for me and my vast personal fortune of 30 whole Echoes, so probably chump change to veterans.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Finnegan%20Doyle
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

5/24/2017
Finnegan wrote:
*snip* sitting on the roof with the Valkyrie before logging off each night, then rushing through to the finale this morning. Great stuff, and I'm very much looking forward to the next one.

Haha, lovely! Really taking the RP very serious! smile

And, as Opti and Finn mentioned, you have until tomorrow, around 11-12 GMT to start the story; only few AP.

--
Skinnyman is accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats (hunger!) and boxed cats. *Sorry, Duchess!*
No Dante, no suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Other actions are welcomed only if they are accompanied by some RP text!
Updated achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/25/2017
Good story. At first I was disappointed in the Songbird's mundane explanation, but I was convinced when the story's theme crystallized for me. And nothing is completely mundane in Fallen London, of course. I am slightly confused about the three "moral lessons to orphans", since they didn't see to have any mechanical effect and they weren't especially deep choices, but I suppose it was fine as another vehicle for human interactions with orphans.

Now on to some lore discussion!

1. The murderous plant, unless someone has a better guess, may have been inspired by the Zaqqum, which the Qur'an describes as a tree in Hell with fruit like devil's heads. Although someone upstream in this thread knows more about St. John's Lilies than I do, so I may be totally off base.

2. One of the Nobody's parents were (Menace) "Eradicators" lost in some "old chapel in Watchmaker's". Someone refresh my memory — was my character potentially present for their deaths when I charged the sorrow-spider council or somesuch, years ago?

3. Any guesses for which actual Victorian opera house was renamed the Coloratura? It is in or near Veilgarden (Covent Gardens) and opposite a market with a glass roof.

--
The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheThirdPolice
+1 link
xKiv
xKiv

5/25/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:

2. One of the Nobody's parents were (Menace) "Eradicators" lost in some "old chapel in Watchmaker's". Someone refresh my memory — was my character potentially present for their deaths when I charged the sorrow-spider council or somesuch, years ago?

I don't think there were any actual eradicators in any of the potential mobs.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5/25/2017
Wasn't the Silken Chapel in Wolfstack, not Watchmaker's?

--

+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

5/25/2017
Optimatum wrote:
Wasn't the Silken Chapel in Wolfstack, not Watchmaker's?

There seem to be Sorrow Spider infestations throughout London, though mostly concentrated in Wolfstack, Spite, Watchmakers, and the Forgotten Quarter - anywhere where there are lots of old, abandoned buildings probably has a sorrow spider infestation.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

"BEHIND THE WORLD IS THE MANSUS.
THE MANSUS IS THE FORTRESS OF HOURS.
THE MANSUS IS THE HOUSE OF THE SUN.
ITS CORRIDORS ARE THE ANGLES OF TIME.
LIFE BEGINS IN THE MANSUS; MEMORY ENDS THERE."

Please consider donating to Alexis Kennedy's Cultist Simulator

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1144821177/cultist-simulator-behold-our-end?ref=esrx6w
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/25/2017
Yes, but the text specifically mentions a chapel in Watchmaker's (and nothing about spiders). So either the Valkyrie's memory was faulty, or there was a different incident in another chapel, or Failbetter made a mistake, depending on how cynical you feel today. =)

--

+1 link
Azothi
Azothi

5/26/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:
3. Any guesses for which actual Victorian opera house was renamed the Coloratura? It is in or near Veilgarden (Covent Gardens) and opposite a market with a glass roof.
The most likely would probably be the Royal Opera House (a.k.a. Theatre Royal, Covent Garden). The location fits and the venue is certainly enough for the Ring Cycle.

--
Azoth I - Midnighter - Available Watchful Patron - Long History - Appearance

Daneri, the Nothingness of Everything: Old soul. Where are you going, old soul?

Celebrating one year in Fallen London, September 1895.
+2 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/26/2017
And a quick look online confirms that Covent Garden (the building) is a glass-roofed building used as a market in Victorian times. Thanks for the solution!

--

+1 link
NinjaComedian
NinjaComedian

5/31/2017
Has the end of season story shown up for this yet? I haven't seen it, but then I've also not yet managed to draw the Urchin card since I finished this one so I've not seen the epilogue to Hojotoho yet either.
0 link
suinicide
suinicide

5/31/2017
It has not, and it will be a storylet, not a card.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+1 link
Absintheuse
Absintheuse
Administrator

6/1/2017
This Exceptional Story is now available to purchase for Fate!
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

6/26/2017
Why is this still pinned?

--

+1 link
dov
dov

6/26/2017
Optimatum wrote:
Why is this still pinned?

Because the Valkyrie is just that awesome?

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+3 link
Lallinka
Lallinka

7/17/2017
Oh, I was in love with the story! Either I am very easily pleased or these stories just have been /that/ good, but man, did I like this!
I care about the well-being of all the Urchins and as I was going around London, doing my quests (which I loved! Even the spiders one!), I completely forgot who I was looking for in the first place.
All the harder was my choice at the end...I wanted to reunite Valkyrie with her brother and give her a chance at a better life, but...how could I let her leave all her friends behind? I couldn't.
And so now the gang is merrily together, the Foreign office is getting her kid spies someplace else and I don't need to sacrifice my weasels anymore! Victory! \o/

--
Lallinka is accepting any social interactions as soon as my actions allow it. No Loitering and no Photographer, please. Available for interviews about Nemesis and a Midnighter for Orphanages.

Ragish is accepting everything, including Loitering and Photographer. Available for interviews about Heart's Desire and a Crooked-cross for Salons.
+1 link