Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Skies

For the discussion of our next game, coming 2018.

Where the Seekers are (Spoilers) Messages in this topic - RSS

Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead

4/28/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:

Don't those Seeking Mr Eaten's name essentially become Mr Eaten?
edited by Anne Auclair on 4/28/2017

No, not really. They emulate Eaten, but they're not him.
their stories will never have a happy ending

What makes you think that? Words like "hate" and "grieve" don't seem like they lead to happy things? wink

It's hard to talk about this stuff in general, because sometimes there are definite answers, but they're on the other side of the gate. I'll be d---ed if I'm the one to say things openly on the forums, though.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 4/28/2017

--
McGunn/Bsymstad is on the slow boat, waiting to see if he can find out what death is. (I'm done with London for now. Thanks for everything!)
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

4/28/2017
I wouldn't even say that Salt's story can't have a happy ending. It's not over yet, after all. "One came below, long ago, seeking what the Sun had hid. One will rise, one day, to face the White in its hall of poisoned crystal." Who knows what may happen?

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

4/28/2017
Pumpkinhead wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:

Don't those Seeking Mr Eaten's name essentially become Mr Eaten?

No, not really. They emulate Eaten, but they're not him.

If the process is anything like attaining Salt's Song, they become him. Not in the possession sense, not in a personal identity sense, but in a spiritual sense. As in, they went through what Salt/Eaten went through, they are emptied and shaped in the same way, and they are now what Salt/Eaten are. That's why they can learn the Song/Name, because they have lost what Salt/Eaten lost and the Song/Name are what they lost.

It's not dissimilar from how Neoplatonic mystics sought god. The Source of everything is fundamentally unknowable to reason - the only way to know the Source is to return to it, become it, experience it.

So if a Seeker is successful enough to learn the Name and go North, then they are Mr Eaten and will do whatever Mr Eaten would...

Pumpkinhead wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
their stories will never have a happy ending

What makes you think that? Words like "hate" and "grieve" don't seem like they lead to happy things? wink

It's hard to talk about this stuff in general, because sometimes there are definite answers, but they're on the other side of the gate. I'll be d---ed if I'm the one to say things openly on the forums, though.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 4/28/2017

Well, Salt's story to my knowledge isn't fate locked. When Captain Wilhelm Westenra [spoiler]stole the zeppelin and flew into the East he met Salt, his heirs received the following legacy:

A Travelling Light wrote:
"This is the story of the star. An exile from the High Wilderness took up a mask and a burden, and recorded its pilgrimage here below. There is no happy ending."
[/spoiler]

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair

Happy Hallowmas! Please share your Feducci interactions!

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25298-share-your-feducci-interactions.aspx?MessageID=207908#post207908
0 link