Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Preperations for an Infernal Invasion. Messages in this topic - RSS

IgnatuStone
IgnatuStone

4 days ago
I've been running out of things to do lately, but I was just struck by a wonderful idea. Having already pledged my support for the bishop's upcoming campaign, I shall lead my own company beside him in the invasion of hell.

I shall purchase a company of companions best suited to fight the devils. What should It be comprised of? How should they be equipped? Obviously my hound of heaven shall be in the forefront, but I can only have one of him. Also I must consider how to spend my limited funds. Would the devils be most intimidated by 10 Bengal Tigresses, 40 Ruthless henchmen, or 140 Araby Fighting Weasels? Which companions would you choose for this expedition?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ignatus~Stone
0 link
bjharts
bjharts

4 days ago
I have been considering this very question myself. To destroy a devil's body takes some​ doing, of course. But if you have tried it recently, you may understand why I believe that the final coup de grace is best delivered by an agile flying creature, one which can spot its prey in complete darkness and which is accustomed to devouring insects. I plan, in short, to bring rather a large number of bats when we storm the Gates of Hell.

--
Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter. Likes to discuss the mysteries of the Neath over a good game of chess, or to acquire interesting new scars in the sparring ring.
Tanith Wyrmwood: From urchin to pickpocket to jewel-thief to the darling of society, so fast her head is still swimming! Likes to meet over coffee and swap interesting stories.
The Bellicose Prelate: Took a sermon about wrestling with one’s demons too literally, and was sent to New Newgate for repeatedly suplexing devils outside the Brass Embassy. Likes to wrestle and debate. He is willing to Loiter, but has a tendency to ruin the mood by handing out religious pamphlets.
+2 link
Siankan
Siankan

4 days ago
bjharts wrote:
I plan, in short, to bring rather a large number of bats when we storm the Gates of Hell.

Have you really considered the upkeep cost of that many sodding crickets? I mean, yes, you can dispatch half-useless casualties via the nearest overgrown houseplant, but at a certain point you're going to either be doing a lot of unnecessary work or having a lot of angry bats on your hands. Also, how much damage can a bat do, anyway?

As a counterpoint, however, maybe making all the chiropterans particularly surly by leaving out the cricket rations would make them even fiercer combatants. At the very least, a cloud of cursing, hungry bats might prove a handy distraction and an ammunition sponge. Precisely how ruthless are you feeling at the moment?

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+2 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

3 days ago
Siankan wrote:
Also, how much damage can a bat do, anyway?

Although the efficacy of an individual chiropteran in combat may be limited, in aggregate, they can affect prodigious results ... metropolitan translocation, for example.

• edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 3/20/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corestry Since 1892.
  • 0 link
    Slyblue
    Slyblue

3 days ago
    Siankan wrote:
    Also, how much damage can a bat do, anyway?

Given enough time, they'll take another city--Wait, what kind of bats are we talking about?

I say! Regardless of what you choose to take with you, make sure the Number is present to protect you and your followers. 77 Working Rats to keep your engines running, 777 Weasels to keep the morale high and the hunger low, 7 Overgoats to carry your banners, and at the very least one Slug of Fine Pedigree.

EDIT: Dear my, I'm not the only one who vouches for the power of certain bats.
    edited by Slyblue on 3/20/2017

--
    Cameo art by Captain Maddhart II
    - Mademoiselle. Hedonistic socialite, silver-tongued Glassman, and private entertainer. Has an easy smile.
    - Maxwell Bradford, Curt revolutionary, but otherwise a very pious gentleman. Listens to what the Thunder says.
    - The Elliptic Longshanks. Northbound. Always happy to greet you with a box of dead rats. Affably insane.

No loitering, and no invitations to lodgings. All my Free Evenings are spoken for. Everything else is welcome if it contains a bit of accompanying text <3
    0 link
    The Masked Felon
    The Masked Felon

3 days ago
    I do believe that Mister Bjhearts means to employ bat swarms as a means of capturing the bees after they have left their fallen devilish vessels, thus preventing the devils from replenishing their numbers. Bearing that in mind, such a tactic could deal a mighty blow to the devils' morale. I daresay it would make them run like a bat out of hell.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/The%20Masked%20Felon
    0 link
    Shadowcthuhlu
    Shadowcthuhlu

3 days ago
    Scuttering companies are essential to sabotaging your enemy. Make sure to stock up on those.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Dirae~Erinyes
    0 link
    bjharts
    bjharts

3 days ago
    Well, I'll agree that our ratty fellows are a resource which we Londoners too often overlook. Treat a rat with a bit of respect and he'll do as good a job as a man, and eat much less in the bargain.

It's true that it would be rather amusing to drop, say, the Iron Republic on top of Hell, and see whether they like living with their own experiment. But I have already specified the use to which I intend to put bats: namely, to deliver the coup de grace. To follow my reasoning, you may peruse the following evidence. Be warned, however, that you might come to regret delving into such mysteries [i.e. spoilers behind the links, at least if I've managed to link them properly].

The theory of one of the the foremost scholars of the Neath

The eyewitness testimony of an associate

My conclusion, then, is that devils in their true forms are very much vulnerable to attack by agile, flying carnivores, even rather small ones.

Edit: The Masked Felon - who seems quite a reliable sort, on the whole - has divined both my intent and the theory behind it.
    edited by bjharts on 3/20/2017

--
    Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter. Likes to discuss the mysteries of the Neath over a good game of chess, or to acquire interesting new scars in the sparring ring.
    Tanith Wyrmwood: From urchin to pickpocket to jewel-thief to the darling of society, so fast her head is still swimming! Likes to meet over coffee and swap interesting stories.
    The Bellicose Prelate: Took a sermon about wrestling with one’s demons too literally, and was sent to New Newgate for repeatedly suplexing devils outside the Brass Embassy. Likes to wrestle and debate. He is willing to Loiter, but has a tendency to ruin the mood by handing out religious pamphlets.
    +1 link