Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

St Davy Jone's Candle [443 AJE — TRIP COMPLETE!] Messages in this topic - RSS

Anchovies
Anchovies

5/12/2017
By Salt, what a journey! I'm continually impressed by your dedication, and occasionally I remember that you're doing this IN A ZUBMARINE and am impressed EVEN MORE.

When you're forced to choose a luck challenge, I vote that you go with The Stone Pigs Cough because the Zee could always use some more islands. Your volcanoes will blot out the sun! Or they would if we could see the bloody sun from here...

edit: when the waters are troubled, I say "What Are Those?" is the best choice. You'll at least put on a good show before the zee-beast swallows you, and every time I hear the card's title I'm reminded of that meme with the shoes.
edited by Anchovies on 5/12/2017

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Ready and willing to engage in delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring.
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/12/2017
You can literally vote in another thread! I'm going slightly insane thinking about THE END, so I've been delaying the decision since this morning.

--
The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheThirdPolice
0 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/13/2017
My body has reshaped. My mind has crystallized into a structure of pain and longing. Yet still I resist the Drownies' call!

APPROACHING JOURNEY'S END: 443
POSSIBLE REPRIEVES: 0.7
STORMS SURVIVED DEFENSELESS: 12
LUCKY ESCAPES: 1

Well, the glory lasted another 35 actions before I ended up in an even worse spot than before.

--

+4 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/15/2017

What is this? The ice sublimates, turning to steam for the first time in this timeless place. It took the full revolution of a Judgement before the Bazaar tracked me down, but at long last its servant has found me. That is no sunken island beneath me — its stone snout opens, and the flash of magma blinds my dark-accustomed eyes.

Suddenly, I remember. I remember libraries and lead plaques. Brush strokes capturing bristles and motors. Weak points plotted and alchemies imbibed. My long preparations have left even this shell of my body with defenses and plans.

Come then, beast that sunk Knossos and opened a path to Ilium. Do your masters remember the taste of surprise?

"Sklekto-selemach Talus'g——"

A mirror opens in the boiling sea.

Mewling interrupts the incantation. Magma shot through with thick, white sorrow engulfs my form.

The boiling subsides. Black, lumpen hills of cooled tephra drift in the waters. One of them has the barest remnant of a face.

Six kittens step onto the broken ice and shake themselves off. A short distance to the north, confusion replaces a dead god's anticipation.

=================
=================
=================

It is over! Thank you to everyone who read along. My expedition ended at Approaching Journey's End 443, or approximately 20,950 change points. Along the way, I gathered over 3,800 pages of each type of research, and earned something like 30 Dangerous to reach the stat cap.

Thank you to Vavkx Nonexus and Bunnyapocalips, who both just sent me Parabolan Kittens and inspired this final twist. I hope you understand that, in the twisted mind of a Seeker, using your gift to destroy all my dreams and end myself is a top compliment.

Additional thanks to Charlotte de Witte for helping me gather second chances long, long ago; and to Sebastian Olmen for providing some of the backstory to this expedition. Once I am back in London I shall contact them to see if they are even aware of this expedition!

--

+26 link
Harlocke
Harlocke

5/15/2017
Congratulations on your historic voyage! Bards will zing of your doomed yet noble adventure.

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/15/2017
The true cost of the expedition:

If any fellow Exceptional Friends follow in my footsteps — the correct move is to contact Failbetter in advance.

--

+10 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

5/15/2017
Congratulations and condolences!
edited by Optimatum on 5/15/2017

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman

PM me for hints enigmatic or fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link
Mr. Sails
Mr. Sails

5/16/2017
Ah, so this is the confused blue vessel I've seen circling around Gaider's Mourn for Salt knows how long.

Glad to see you finally found your way back to Wolfstack. It can be tough to navigate the Mutton Island/Hunter's Keep/Gaider's Mourn triangle after all.
edited by Cantankerous Captain on 5/16/2017
+1 link
 Saklad
Saklad

5/16/2017
Perhaps people more generous than I could donate some Fate to recompense you for the missed Exceptional Stories? I imagine Failbetter can’t make exceptions like this, for fear of the precedent it would set.

• They could, however, commemorate this with a special quality. Come on, whoever is reading this thread, you know you want to…
    edited by Saklad5 on 5/16/2017

--
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • +2 link
    TheThirdPolice
    TheThirdPolice

5/16/2017
    I would love to play all these stories, of course — they are my favourite part of the game now that the zee has rejected me — but unless something has changed, Fate transfers are no longer available. I could set up a $ donation method but I'm a little reluctant to (press H to) toot my horn. I can afford to continue Exceptional Friendship for now and the extra 291 Fate / $66.88 should be achievable once I am employed again.

--

0 link
    Vincent Asmund
    Vincent Asmund

5/16/2017
    I tip my hat to you, delicious friend.

--

Vincent Åsmund, the inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and compelling Author [Main, PoSI]

Ramses Gamil, The Menacing and Watchful Stranger

Ozymandias, the Newcomer
    +1 link
    Anchovies
    Anchovies

5/17/2017
    Wait, you did all of this while exceptional? Crikey.

TheThirdPolice wrote:
    I would love to play all these stories, of course — they are my favourite part of the game now that the zee has rejected me — but unless something has changed, Fate transfers are no longer available. I could set up a $ donation method but I'm a little reluctant to (press H to) toot my horn. I can afford to continue Exceptional Friendship for now and the extra 291 Fate / $66.88 should be achievable once I am employed again.
    Do you already have a substantial pile of spare fate? Nine stories at 45 fate each is 405 fate, which is $75 via one 50-fate purchase and one 25-fate purchase. That's not much more than the $63 you spent on being Exceptional. In my entirely unprofessional and insufficiently humble opinion, it may be worthwhile for you to discussing this with Failbetter, unless you're alright with treating the $75 as a donation of sorts.

The "Give a gift! A commotion in the Square of Lofty Words" opportunity card allows for transfers of fate in parcels of 100. That's $20 increments.

--
    Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
    —Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Ready and willing to engage in delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring.
    0 link
    TheThirdPolice
    TheThirdPolice

5/17/2017
    Yes, I already have 114 Fate for reasons I don't recall, leaving 291 to go. I had hoped the exceptionality would get me leverage with Failbetter, but my Diplomacy check only got me the latest season. (I'll pass on their advice again for any Don Quixotes out there — it's easier for them to do this in advance.)

When I last had land legs a year ago, the gift option had been disabled due to mobile bugs. If it has since returned, donations are very welcome and people know where to find me from my signature.

--

+1 link