Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Seeking Mr Eaten's name Messages in this topic - RSS

Sinnouk
Sinnouk

1/30/2018
al2o3cr wrote:
Gallmarch wrote:
Is there a primer on Salt in Sunless Sea anywhere?
There's a fair bit collected on Spacemarine9's old blog - http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com
And then there's this thing on his Sunless Sea sideblog, though it deteriorates into Seeking parallels midway. Was written before SMEN returned.

--
Theron Bidwell Urie, hat-less unfortunate no more!

gronostaj wrote:
If the Implacable Detective Wins…

I go to jail! And you go to jail! And you go to jail, yes, you too! Everyone goes to jail!
0 link
Billy Bones jr
Billy Bones jr

1/31/2018
a Nice Friend wrote:
dov wrote:
A little vague? That's an understatement.

It basically requires you to have played Sunless Sea and to have absorbed as much delicious Salt Lore as possible to even make a lick of sense.

And I imagine most of the players asking "Who is Salt?" genuinely have no idea. It's a bit of a mean trick.

So does SMEN line really answer the questions regarding the Salt ending in sunless sea?

Like what the TRAVELLER RETURNING stuff means.

Those questions were actually the main reason why I started my journey in fallen london.

--
Billy Bones jr
0 link
Cthonius
Cthonius

1/31/2018
Billy Bones jr wrote:
a Nice Friend wrote:
dov wrote:
A little vague? That's an understatement.

It basically requires you to have played Sunless Sea and to have absorbed as much delicious Salt Lore as possible to even make a lick of sense.

And I imagine most of the players asking "Who is Salt?" genuinely have no idea. It's a bit of a mean trick.

So does SMEN line really answer the questions regarding the Salt ending in sunless sea?

Like what the TRAVELLER RETURNING stuff means.

Those questions were actually the main reason why I started my journey in fallen london.

It doesn't. It gives you a viewpoint on it, an chance to form your own answers, but like much of Fallen London it refuses to give you its answers directly. Sunless Sea's Salt Ending is answered best by Sunless Sea.

I should also mention that Who Is Salt AND the Uttermost East, like so much of Fallen London, don't need to be viewed as complex riddles. Come at it with a direct approach, what's it seem like? That's probably what it is.
edited by Cthonius on 1/31/2018

--
Cthonius, gone North. Gone.

Oneiropompus, a Scarlet Saint, eager to help make your dreams realities. Accepting all social requests for now.
0 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

2/1/2018
After getting "The Sun Beneath the Sea?" item, I don't need to worry about the extra requirements at Winking Isle, right? So I could hop back to london and grab some whispered hints or whatever without having to dump them again?

--
Be of good cheer. Our contacts have assured us that your sins are forgiven.
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2/1/2018
Correct. You only need to be eligible for those requirements if you want more copies of "The Sun Beneath the Sea?". If you don't care about that, the optional steps are far less efficient for FaM anyways.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
0 link
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu

2/1/2018
Yeah, I just want one for collector's value. I plan to get a Knock eventually anyway.

EDIT: Though now that you mention it, perhaps I should grab 7 of them. Since that's, you know, the number.
edited by Kaijyuu on 2/1/2018

--
0 link
The Lord Breakfast
The Lord Breakfast

2/2/2018
Kaijyuu wrote:
Yeah, I just want one for collector's value. I plan to get a Knock eventually anyway.

EDIT: Though now that you mention it, perhaps I should grab 7 of them. Since that's, you know, the number.

Is that even possible? It seems like one hell of a thing to grind, if it is. Complete Seeking 7 times o_O

• --
    The Lord Breakfast, Captain Bacon, The Ageless Pirate, Bane of Salad, The Thrice-Mad, Eater of Pelicans
  • 0 link
    ExceptionallyDelicious
    ExceptionallyDelicious

2/2/2018
    The Lord Breakfast wrote:
    Kaijyuu wrote:

Is that even possible? It seems like one hell of a thing to grind, if it is. Complete Seeking 7 times o_O

• I would assume Kaijyuu means seven of "The Sun Beneath the Sea", as it is impossible to begin seeking again once you've acquired the Knock.

--
    Any and all social actions are appreciated, and most will be reciprocated.

DavidJ, a self reflection (main): http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/DavidJ

Damien Erebus, a broken man and aspiring spymaster: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Damien%20Erebus
    0 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

2/2/2018
    I've not gone to winking isle yet, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can get down to 0 Fasting through failing luck checks and then do the Preparations storylets again.

EDIT: Oh yes, I meant Suns beneath the sea. One can only get one Knock.
    edited by Kaijyuu on 2/2/2018

--
    0 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

2/2/2018
    You don't even have to fail luck checks. You'll go through Preparations far more than seven times to reach SMEN 77.

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +1 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

2/2/2018
    Optimatum wrote:
    You don't even have to fail luck checks. You'll go through Preparations far more than seven times to reach SMEN 77.

Wait, you need to do the preparation phase every time you reset your feasting?

--
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    Other actions are welcomed only if they are accompanied by some RP text!
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    0 link
    dov
    dov

2/2/2018
    Skinnyman wrote:
    Optimatum wrote:

Wait, you need to do the preparation phase every time you reset your feasting?

Yes, when you spend F&M to raise SMEN the quality resets. Then you have to go through the preparation phase again before you can use the options at the Well.

--
    (Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
    +2 link
    a Nice Friend
    a Nice Friend

2/2/2018
    Cthonius wrote:
    I should also mention that Who Is Salt AND the Uttermost East, like so much of Fallen London, don't need to be viewed as complex riddles. Come at it with a direct approach, what's it seem like? That's probably what it is.
    edited by Cthonius on 1/31/2018

A very good approach, but I was thinking of Fallen London players who would pick the Who is Salt option expecting an answer to that very question (because they haven't touched Sunless Sea and have no idea who Salt is. I don't believe it's mentioned anywhere else in Fallen London.)

If you have absolutely zero context re: Salt, that ending must seem like a complete non-sequitur. Even just the barest, tiniest hint that it's a judgement spy or a traveller who went East would help.

SMEN spoiler:
    [spoiler] The man named Nicator mentions the White when you bring up Salt, which would be an extremely helpful tidbit - except I don't believe it was officially given that name until Sunless Sea, so... still unhelpful and confusing to a non-zailor[/spoiler]

--
    Definitely a nice friend - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/a%20nice%20friend
    0 link
    The Remorseless Villainess

2/4/2018
    I've just finished Seeking (proof on The Remorseless Villainness's profile) and was wondering if any other Seekers wouldn't mind sharing in PM the Grieve and Salt options for it? I'm happy to return the favour with Hate, for those who successfully pursued another path!

--
    Gone NORTH, to learn what happened there.
    The Indolent Entrepreneur

"T'ain't the eatin' you need be afraid of. It's the chewin'."
    0 link
    Billy Bones jr
    Billy Bones jr

2/12/2018
    Billy bones jr has gone North. He is neither spinning nor enduring. Just perpetually

continuing. He is truly regretting his success (or failure).

I am not interested in knowing other endings because I had a sneak peek at them already, but I can share the content I've got with other seekers.

Some questions regarding pre-Gate content are still bothering me though:
    [spoiler]
    1) What is the creature lurking in the Chapel of Lights? We can even use them as a candle. So they must be important.
    2) Who is the poor soul accompanying you to the south and to the gate? (the one that says "(and me)") Is that lilac?
    3) How are we supposed to learn anything about Judgements? I can't remember any particular reference to them throughout the FL storyline.
    4) Who are The Twelve metioned multiple times on the winking Isle?
    5) Who are the false Saints? St Arthur must have been a real jerk. Are those names just made up to be in alphabetical order?
    [/spoiler]

--
    Billy Bones jr
    0 link
    al2o3cr
    al2o3cr

2/12/2018
    Billy Bones jr wrote:
    Billy bones jr has gone North. He is neither spinning nor enduring. Just perpetually

continuing. He is truly regretting his success (or failure).

I am not interested in knowing other endings because I had a sneak peek at them already, but I can share the content I've got with other seekers.

Some answers below, all marked spoiler.

[spoiler]
    1) What is the creature lurking in the Chapel of Lights? We can even use them as a candle. So they must be important.

Based on the result if you offer yourself, the creature is the remains of someone else who has been made into a candle. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Spacemarine9?fromEchoId=8903380

The "Gather Intelligence" text at the Chapel in Sunless Sea refers to a "congregation" of people who are "strangely difficult to count" (Obscurity?) so it's likely you're not the first one.

2) Who is the poor soul accompanying you to the south and to the gate? (the one that says "(and me)") Is that lilac?

IIRC it's a piece of the person Lilac used to be, left behind in the Nadir.

4) Who are The Twelve metioned multiple times on the winking Isle?

The text for one of the preparations refers to "The Twelve gave them up when they took the Courier's bargain" - the Bazaar is regularly referred to as "Courier", so that makes the Twelve most likely the Masters.

There's something important about the number, too - there's text when you get "The Road" destiny that mentions "we are too few!" when you peace out from the trip to the Sun.
    [/spoiler]
  • +1 link
    Flynneldariel
    Flynneldariel

2/13/2018
    so i got my seventh stain on my soul and now am raising my watchful (until i get 200 with modifier). is it the right think to do or should I focus on something else first ?

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/FlynnEldariel
    0 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

2/13/2018
    Billy Bones jr wrote:
    -snip-

[spoiler]
    1. It's the executioner, made from the skeleton and internal organs of the last person to be turned into a candle. The Chapel hasn't sent anyone NORTH before but they do apparently regularly make candle-golems for practice.
    2. It's part of who Millicent used to be before she became Lilac, the part of herself she gave up in the Nadir.
    3. In FL, references to the Judgements are generally vague and cryptic at best. Most of the details on them come from Sunless Sea. They're the living stars that enforce the laws of reality through light.
    4. The Twelve are the Masters, including Mr Eaten.
    5. The False Saints probably weren't specific people (or, if they were, there's no reference to that).
    [/spoiler]

Flynneldariel wrote:
    so i got my seventh stain on my soul and now am raising my watchful (until i get 200 with modifier). is it the right think to do or should I focus on something else first ?

You'll need to do it anyways, so it doesn't really matter whether you do that or other candles first.

--

+1 link
    Anvil
    Anvil

2/21/2018
    Quick technical question : I am currently grinding Notability for St Destin's Candle. I already have enough SMEN (and a Calling Card) to go to Winking Isle and spend time fasting and meditating to a foolish end, but not enough to acquire St Destin's Candle. My question is this : if I raise my Notability to 12 before going to the Isle, can I reasonably hope to gain 5 SMEN before my Notability falls to abysmal levels again ? I am currently at Notability 7 and I have a good carousel of item cycling going for the MW grind.

In other words, should I keep grinding my Notability or should I raise my SMEN first in order to acquire St Destin's Candle ? Precision : I plan to acquire The Sun Beneath the Sea? as well, while on the Isle.

Unrelated to my question, a humble recommendation to fellow Salt-Seekers :

[spoiler]
    Sunless Sea does actually provide a good deal of information on who Salt is and what happened to him/her/it, if you follow the Uttermost East ambition. The best sources of information, in my opinion, are, in no particular order :

-Vienna, on the Surface
    -Frostfound
    -What you have to do to fulfill the ambition (in a way, you must become Salt to truly go East, after all, which means that, to an extent, you experience what he/she/it experienced)
    -The three possible endings to the ambition

Of course, there are tidbits here and there as well, but I found those helped me the most getting a decent "bigger picture".
    [/spoiler]

Going NORTH is so pre-SMEN content freeze. Going East is the real deal.
    edited by Anvil on 2/21/2018
    0 link
    Tyrconnell
    Tyrconnell

2/21/2018
    You can do quite a few cycles at Winking Isle in a week, and it's only a few actions to go back and forth between cycles. But if you get your Notability up and then spend it on St Destin's Candle you don't have to worry about it anymore. Either way is feasible, and it's up to you.

--
    Tyrconnell, a gentleman and doctor of diverse interests and multifarious proclivities
    0 link