Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Seeking Mr Eaten's name Messages in this topic - RSS

Anvil
Anvil

8 days ago
turbosnowy wrote:
Anyway it's yours if you want it, just get in touch asking for a tiny bowl shark and I'll know it's you.

An inviting to Caligula's for coffee has not been postponed.
+1 link
Aniline
Aniline

7 days ago
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
Aniline wrote:
Deadness is the easiest to get out of. The deck contains a lot of effective menace-reducing red-bordered cards, so you first play chess with the skeleton, then use the red cards while at 0 actions.

That's not really sustainable, as you'll quickly end being saddled with 2CP Nightmares even on a win - plus, the net Wounds loss will likely be 0 or even negative (since you lose 2CP on a success but gain 3CP per failure - so you'd need Watchful >300 to even have positive average wound loss).

Dice with the boatman averages out to -0.5CP wounds per action and doesn't have any other negative side-effects, so if you plan on being dead a lot, in the long term it's the optimal strategy for becoming not dead.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 11/25/2017

Late to reply, but still:
The skeleton plays to lose at first, long enough that a casual seeker character who's never ground a stat in their life can die 7 times and get out with chess + red cards.

--
Melantha Prescott. Extraordinary Mind, EF, A: Heart's Desire, Correspondent, tripping on purple.

"3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
+1 link
Astfgl
Astfgl

7 days ago
Hi! My character, Astfgl66, has reached the end of her terrible ambition. In her foolishness, she chose to grieve.

I would very much like to hear from others who have finished the Search and chose differently and would be happy to share my findings with others as well.

My profile is in my signature if you'd like to check.
Take care.

--
My profile:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Astfgl66
+1 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

6 days ago
Astfgl wrote:
Hi! My character, Astfgl66, has reached the end of her terrible ambition. In her foolishness, she chose to grieve.

I would very much like to hear from others who have finished the Search and chose differently and would be happy to share my findings with others as well.

My profile is in my signature if you'd like to check.
Take care.

Just one question (and if you wish to answer it through a PM, please do so):
If your character knocked, is the result much like the one in Sunless Sea?
0 link
Astfgl
Astfgl

6 days ago
I have not completed that part of sunless sea, so I can't answer that question.
Sorry.

--
My profile:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Astfgl66
0 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

5 days ago
Astfgl wrote:
I have not completed that part of sunless sea, so I can't answer that question.
Sorry.

Would you like to know what happens in Sunless Sea's version?
0 link
incerteza
incerteza

3 days ago
Hello,

I went North and chose to grieve. I'll be grateful if anyone PMs the other endings.
(Also, I'm really curious what is said if you turn back.)

My profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/incerteza

Thank you.
0 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

3 days ago
You know, I've had seeking on the back of my mind for a long, long while now. Nothing about my character really tends to self-destruction, though, not do I have any particular reason to do it out of character; however, I really like Mr. Eaten, and wish to help him, hence the steps I have made so far on this journey (still very small ones so far, but steps nevertheless). Seeking basically makes your character a servant and agent of Eaten, which sounds great because poor guy could sure use some trustworthy agents. And the ultimate goal of Seeking is to go North - to what effect I do not know, but since it's the goal towards which Eaten guides all his followers, presumably it benefits him in some way.

All of this I have pieced together mostly from other people's discussions and a general knowledge of what Seeking entails, more or less. I haven't actually played through nearly enough content to piece together lore from my own experience, meaning this rather vague summary is the limit of my understanding of the in-depth lore involved. So here's my slightly peculiar question: from an in-universe lore perspective, how much does it benefit Mr. Eaten when a player goes through the entire Seeking only to turn back? Is it like a spit in the face, a betrayal? Or perhaps a disappointment, mostly worthless? Or is it still worthwhile and helpful, if obviously not ideal?

Mostly asking because I do wish to get my character more involved, but I have no plans on permanently destroying them, and I've just realised that Eaten might not necessarily appreciate that.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 12/10/2017

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
incerteza
incerteza

2 days ago
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
So here's my slightly peculiar question: from an in-universe lore perspective, how much does it benefit Mr. Eaten when a player goes through the entire Seeking only to turn back? Is it like a spit in the face, a betrayal? Or perhaps a disappointment, mostly worthless? Or is it still worthwhile and helpful, if obviously not ideal?

Mostly asking because I do wish to get my character more involved, but I have no plans on permanently destroying them, and I've just realised that Eaten might not necessarily appreciate that.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 12/10/2017

I don't recall anything that helps Mr Eaten along the road. (I don't know about turning back, I don't think he'd care, but it's just a guess),

But you can always help* others go North, if you want to. The starveling cats are very helpful (I've spent a week grinding for it before someone lent me one). Mr Eaten Calling Cards can also be lent, but they are very expensive. Playing chess with those who blackened their mind (http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22415-depapering-the-mind-watchful-healing-for-seekers.aspx) also helps, at some point they'll need Watchful 200.

*in a loose sense of "help"
0 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

2 days ago
Lore-wise, Seeking but turning back does not benefit Mr Eaten, but nor does it harm him. I doubt he really cares, though I also doubt he really cares about much else these days.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles or Affluent Photographer requests; all other social actions welcome.

Responding to Christmas Cards with Cider for the holidays! Fogscape with Tentacles and Beguiling Predatory Vegetable preferred.

Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+3 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

2 days ago
Both responses wrote:
Seeking but turning back does not benefit Mr Eaten

Welp, time to rev up those alts then.

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
earthbourn
earthbourn

19 hours ago
As I consider ToL use this season, I'm looking ahead to SMEN and the possibility of having to replace my lodgings afterward. I plan to turn back, so I want to minimize damage and expense. (Not really in the spirit of Seeking, I know, but I've already gone North on my old character.) I'm interested in the Fate option to obtain St. Beau--can someone give me a hint on what the "precious possibilities" I'd be giving up might be? Would it be better or worse than having to wait until next year to get my lodgings back?

--
Tenterhook - A sun-seared creature learning to be human.
The Mechanist, L. - Found what she was looking for. Gone now.
0 link
suinicide
suinicide

18 hours ago
You're giving up fate/real world money that could have been used to buy other (nice) things.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
0 link
earthbourn
earthbourn

13 hours ago
Ah, I see. I guess I was overthinking it. Thanks!

--
Tenterhook - A sun-seared creature learning to be human.
The Mechanist, L. - Found what she was looking for. Gone now.
0 link