Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

EXPERIMENTAL CONTENT: A Flash Lay Messages in this topic - RSS

Anchovies
Anchovies

3/27/2017
I recently played through the Successful Spirifer option over the past two days, and I have to say that I'm terribly disappointed. During the course of the Lay, my Nightmares reached 4 from occasional failed challenges. At that point, I drew an auto-played card which told me that my Nightmares had gotten too high. The only option I was able to choose was to exit the lay in failure, because the only other option on the card required more Up Your Sleeve than I happened to have. My concerns with what happened are as follows.
  • At no point during the Lay was I presented an option which could reduce my Nightmares. This is the big one. Entry requires Menaces less than 4, cards within the Lay increase Menaces, reaching Menaces 4 can force a loss, and normal Opportunity cards and story options are inaccessible during the Lay.
  • The Lay instructions and entry requirements indicated that keeping Menaces below 3 was a good idea, but never gave the impression that reaching 4 in one Menace could force a total loss.
  • If Up Your Sleeve is necessary to avoid random forced losses, then Up Your Sleeve is best hoarded for those occasions, rather than spent to remove Obstacles or advance Progress.
  • Over the course of the Lay, I gained zero benefits other than the basic core-quality change points from attempting challenges. No items, no progress in secondary qualities.

I'm rather annoyed by this, since I put a few dozen actions into the Lay and got kicked from it through what seems to be no fault of my own. I won't be touching the Lays again in their current state.

On a more general level, I'm not a fan of the total replacement of normal options by the Lay. I quite like stories that involve building gradual progress through nonlinear options, like Black Ribbon fights at Wolfstack Docks or creative works at the Empress's Court. However, I can take breaks from those if I so desire, which allows me to reduce Menaces increased by the long-term work and refresh resources exhausted in pursuit of the goal (usually commodity items, Favours, or Connected).

Perhaps expanding the Flash Lay to allow access to story options in at least Lodgings and the location of the Lay (e.g. Veilgarden for the existing Lays) could be a good compromise between the current Lay system and the less restrictive Expeditions, duel preparations, and so forth. Had that been the case, I'd have been able to actively reduce my Menaces rather than relying on the luck of the draw.

--
Lionel Anchovies. Social requests welcome.
0 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

3/28/2017
Anchovies wrote:
Had that been the case, I'd have been able to actively reduce my Menaces rather than relying on the luck of the draw.

Indeed, that would be my complaint too. Despite my preparations, e.g. loading up on Second Chances and reducing menaces before starting a Flash Lay, there had been instances where really bad luck screwed my player character over.

Chief of these examples of really bad luck is drawing obstacle cards over and over, building up menaces, and then drawing the Menace-triggered cards which just make things worse and/or sap away precious Up Your Sleeve.

I would have preferred if there are some storylets which allow the reduction of Menaces with the expenditure of resources.
0 link
Blair Collins
Blair Collins

4/4/2017
I must say I'm not really enjoying this. The Obstacle cards pop up without warning. I don't feel like I have enough of a chance to prepare by building Up Your Sleeve before I hit another Obstacle. The Flash Lays seem like a souped-up version of the Pickpocket Promenade. In both, there's a chance you might get kicked out early. But the Flash Lay is so much bigger, and if you lose a Pickpocket Promenade you at least get to spend the trophies you did collect. Maybe if there were some way to spend progress for a lesser award if your Menaces get too high? So that if you fail you still get something out of it besides the experience.

--
Blair Collins (The On-Time) is a...well they're not quite sure what they are. A good person? They hope? Messages welcome
0 link
 Saklad
Saklad

4/4/2017
Blair Collins wrote:
I must say I'm not really enjoying this. The Obstacle cards pop up without warning. I don't feel like I have enough of a chance to prepare by building Up Your Sleeve before I hit another Obstacle. The Flash Lays seem like a souped-up version of the Pickpocket Promenade. In both, there's a chance you might get kicked out early. But the Flash Lay is so much bigger, and if you lose a Pickpocket Promenade you at least get to spend the trophies you did collect. Maybe if there were some way to spend progress for a lesser award if your Menaces get too high? So that if you fail you still get something out of it besides the experience.

I enjoy them, but you have to get a feel for risk management and which cards to use. They also have extremely high skill challenges, such that even a max-stat character like mine has difficulties with the Avid Auditor. That still didn’t stop me from grinding Uncanny Incunabula with it, efficiency be damned.

• My main advice:

• Hoard Menace reduction cards until you can fully benefit from them, then use them immediately
    • Always try to get more Up Your Sleeve when given the option
    • Try to distribute your Menace gains across Scandal, Suspicion, and Nightmares, the latter of which is often a safe choice since it rarely comes up
    • If you feel you need it, go ahead and spend Up Your Sleeve on Menace reduction. If the current stat is less than 3, you definitely don’t need it. Beyond that, make a judgement call.
    • Don’t be afraid to remove Obstacles instead of turning them into Openings, but always do the latter when able
    • Avoid multi-action options when feasible, since they are very inefficient.
    • Do not underestimate the difficulty. In many ways, the fun part is the panic of trying to recover from near-failure. It isn’t pure luck, but it isn’t a walk in the park either. There’s a moderate learning curve here.

--
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • +2 link
    Rostygold
    Rostygold

4/5/2017
    Saklad wrote:
    Always try to get more Up Your Sleeve when given the option

Think twice about this: consider the amount of progress that is still needed, versus the progress that can be gained from spending Up Your Sleeve on clearing Obstacles. Any Up Your Sleeve that is not spent at the end of a Flash Lay is completely wasted, so don't overstock.
    Saklad wrote:
    Don’t be afraid to remove Obstacles instead of turning them into Openings, but always do the latter when able.

I used to do this, until I figured out that the Openings don't give benefits which are worth the Actions and additional Up Your Sleeve spent to get them. I would suggest removing Obstacles instead so that other cards can come up, and regaining Obstacles when enough Up Your Sleeve has been accumulated to absorb the appearance of one.
    +1 link
    reaperOscuroCore
    reaperOscuroCore

4/6/2017
    Gooday,

I've attempted the easier of the two lays, and from a gameplay point of view it is eminently acceptable. It's pretty much a variant on the Heist story in the Shadowy path, but what I really like is that it's rewarding someone for advancing multiple Stats, as if saying "You took the time to explore thoroughly? Then here's something for you to try out..."
    Obstacles, Up sleeve et all could definitely do with some fine tuning -but when one is dealing with random chances, there is always the chance of a streak of obstacles or whatnot. Perhaps such chances could be actively reduced during the lay, so that if one has a plethora of obstacles/menaces already, cards that give more are less frequent? Or if you're down, you're prone to being kicked? While that is true in real life, to ensure higher player satisfaction I'd suggest less kicking.
    My main complaint is story-wise; I had no idea what I was doing in my lay until the ending, and found that opportunities/my actions did not reflect in any way what I was doing. Similarly with the heist since the opportunities are covering a multitude of stories, there is a disconnect between them and the story itself. I'd much rather have opportunities that are story/detail tailored to the story I am attempting.

--
    Arden Terraward -a gentleperson on the search for...EVERYTHING. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Arden%20Terraward
    0 link
    genesis
    genesis

4/25/2017
    Unlock requirements for menances have dropped so that you need them less than 3 (instead of less than 4). This means that you are less likely to start closer to failure.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
    0 link
     Saklad
    Saklad

4/25/2017
    Here’s a suggestion: either eliminate the chance that you will lose your Openings, or massively increase the benefits of using them. As it stands now, they are rather underwhelming considering the effort required to get them.

--
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
    0 link
    Rostygold
    Rostygold

4/26/2017
    genesis wrote:
    Unlock requirements for menances have dropped so that you need them less than 3 (instead of less than 4). This means that you are less likely to start closer to failure.

This has been around for a while.
    However, I will suggest clearing as many Menaces as possible, to absorb bouts of bad luck in Flash Lay attempts.
    0 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond

4/26/2017
    Rostygold wrote:
    genesis wrote:

This has been around for a while.
    However, I will suggest clearing as many Menaces as possible, to absorb bouts of bad luck in Flash Lay attempts.

I agree with Rostygold about clearing Menaces (especially Suspicion, Scandal, and Nightmares) before you start. You will from time to time pull cards that will let you reduce one or more Menaces; play them! To make sure you can', collect Up Your Sleeve as often as possible.

--
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond
    0 link
    Melancholeric
    Melancholeric

10 days ago
    Having played through Spirifer's Lay, I have a few peevs:

• Basically no flavour. There are no cards that would tie in to the Spirifer being... Spirifer. It's all non-specific and nameless.
    • I wish more was done with the Obstacles — my Corrupt Constable didn't amount to much and ceased to exist after i finished the Lay. It would be great to have consequences outside of the rewards you get.
    • Flesh Lay is completely disconnected from the rest of Fallen London, as if you teleported into another city. There are no opportunity cards based on your acquaitances and deeds — in fact, when my character was almost spoofed by a friend at the salon, I wondered why it wasn't the Artist's Model.

All in all, I wish Flesh Lays had more content connecting them to the rest of the game and more flavour to the stories. As is, I don't think they are worthwhile in terms of narrative and a little embarassing.
    0 link
    fahrentiam
    fahrentiam

10 days ago
    I played through, and enjoyed, the Spirifer's Lay, but I do have a few critiques.

• Incredibly action heavy, it took, I think, 30-35 of my 40 actions. This was partially due to luck being against me, I failed an astounding number of very high skill checks, but still, it most likely would have taken a non-exceptional friend user several hours to do simply because of the amount of actions needed.
    • Felt quite disconnected from the rest of Fallen London, there could have been some tie-ins from your acquaintances or actions, for example, in the Spirifer's Lay, if you were a character with a high Connected: Hell quality then there would be an opportunity to use your knowledge to persuade the Spirifer more. Not sure how you would implement, but still seems like an area for possible expansion.
    • The differences between the two seem very wide, 50 and 125? It seems like it might be better to have a middle option, my skills are a little lacking to attempt the Auditor, but then the majority of the checks in the Spirifer were Straightforward and usually in the 80-90% range. Maybe having there to be a middle option, 50, 80-90, and 125, would make there be less of a large skill gap.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I like the separate location and deck, but it seemed like some things could have been implemented better.
    +2 link