Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Delightful Usernames Messages in this topic - RSS

phryne
phryne

10/29/2015
What I particularly like about Hallowmas so far is the myriads of other players - and their delightfully imaginative user names - one gets to know!
I felt the need to share my personal favourites here:

• Ambystoma Maculatum
  • Antigone Walmsley
  • Baron Wilhelm Brax (nice, sounds like a James Bond villain)
  • Colin Sapherson, Lord President of the Council (has anyone ever dared ask which council?)
  • DragonRidingSorceress (Yay!)
  • ErisFnord (I can see it!)
  • Estelle Knoht (How do you pronounce this? Knot? Note?)
  • Inevitable Gremlin
  • Kitty Rivershack
  • Kivrin Neverwinter
  • Lisette Wintergreen
  • Luthien Tinuviel (one really does meet everyone done here)
  • Madman Across the Water
  • Maxwell Q Tenebris
  • Odessa Reyes Isola-Maskylene (now that's a mouthful!)
  • Rastannar von Kryer (another Bond villain)
  • Reginald Hubris
  • Romulus Arcana
  • Rupho Schartenhauer (=Arthur Schopenhauer) wink
  • Ruthven Murgatroyd
  • Sophronia Bingworthy-Jones
  • The Dark Gentleman (classy!)
  • The Masked Felon (you get what you see)
  • unusualdemoness (I didn't know there were usual ones)
  • Vex Lereunt
  • Wriothesley (again, how do you pronounce THAT?)
  • Ysrthgrathe (is that Rubbery language?)

--
a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memory
Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
+8 link
Kivrin Neverwinter
Kivrin Neverwinter

10/29/2015

--
Often lost, always armed, eager for adventure.
Kivrin Neverwinter
Also: August Reave, whose quest for knowledge tends to drive him mad or dead or both, at least once a week.
+4 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

10/29/2015
Oh, I see someone has "decoded" my (not very good) anagram! wink
  • Cake Ninja
  • FrenjaminBanklin

--
All characters on hiatus!
+1 link
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook
Administrator

10/29/2015
More properly Lord Hubris, the thirteenth Baron of Hubris Hall! The previous twelve Unfortunate Barons all perished by violence within the Hall's walls. Being consigned to the Neath following his Surface-disgrace, Hubris fully intends to simply never die.

--
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook, the Libertarian Esotericist. Reginald Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Ms Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+5 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

10/29/2015
I've run across Michel Foucault in the 'Neath, which is a neat trick since he won't be born for 30 more years...

As for exceptionally long names, it would probably be hard to beat "Carlos El Stela, Iudex Inluminus, Pontifex Cthonus, Aspiciat Aeternam."

-- Mal
edited by malthaussen on 10/29/2015

--
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Will do all socials except Loitering or Private Evenings (all my Free Evenings are accounted for), and Affluent Photographer Betrayals only, please. I am not currently accepting calling cards.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/malthaussen
+4 link
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

10/29/2015
phryne wrote:
  • Luthien Tinuviel (one really does meet everyone done here)

The Neath also rejoices in the presence of Eru Iluvatar -- in an active and presumably-corporeal way, I mean, to avoid confusions about religion and godly presence and all that. And in a nice subtle Tolkien reference (I presume, anyway), Deepdelver.

(Thinking about Tolkien characters that would be particularly suited to the Neath, and got stuck on "geez, no-one play Feanor, what a terrible idea.")

--
DO NOT send requests for Parabolan Kittens; my Panther needs a break.

Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

Possibly-Useful Things: Spreadsheets and hints and link collections, oh my.
+4 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

10/29/2015
an_ocelot wrote:
And in a nice subtle Tolkien reference (I presume, anyway), Deepdelver.

Indeed, though I'm afraid my super-shadowy Crooked-Cross alt has retained very little in the way of typical hobbit traits...
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 10/29/2015

--
0 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

10/29/2015
I'm acquainted with Luthi and Iluvatar, but I don't think I've met Deepdelver. He, at least, should be ecstatic with all the mushrooms about.

-- Mal

--
Will do all socials except Loitering or Private Evenings (all my Free Evenings are accounted for), and Affluent Photographer Betrayals only, please. I am not currently accepting calling cards.
+1 link
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

10/29/2015
What, Deepdelver is a hobbit? I figured it was referring to the dwarves in Moria, who delved too deep and woke the Balrog!

--

Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

0 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

10/29/2015
Gormadoc "Deepdelver" Brandybuck, one of the old Masters of Buckland. One of his descendants was Gorbadoc "Broadbelt" Brandybuck, great-grandfather of Merry Brandybuck and grandfather of Frodo Baggins.
@an_ocelot: I like your interpretation, too!

To continue the Tolkien-theme: there seems to be at least one other wayward hobbit in the Neath: Marshall Proudfoot!
Also, there's Uruloki.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 10/29/2015

--
+2 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

10/29/2015
If I had an alt, I'd be tempted to bring the "treasure-finder" Dildo Buggers to the 'Neath. A character I've used in DnD games in the distant past.
Then there was Delver Rootnose, an alias of a character in Brian Daley's White Ship trilogy. Not a hobbit, but it would have made a capital name for one in Bored of the Rings, probably loosely connected to the Nosefingers.

-- Mal
edited by malthaussen on 10/29/2015

--
+1 link
Zareen Bakara
Zareen Bakara

10/29/2015
an_ocelot wrote:

(Thinking about Tolkien characters that would be particularly suited to the Neath, and got stuck on "geez, no-one play Feanor, what a terrible idea.")

If by "terrible" you mean brilliant, amazing, and wonderful - then yes! Fëanor's follies make him more suited to the Neath than any other Tolkien character who comes to my mind.

--
An authoress of Persian and Abyssinian origins, come to London on a personal matter. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Zareen~Bakara
+2 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

10/29/2015
"Terrible as an army with banners."

-- Mal

--
+2 link
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

10/29/2015
Rupho Schartenhauer, I always skip the hobbit family trees, so thanks for the reference! (Self-plug: did y'all know I re-read LotR chapter-by-chapter for Tor.com? Well, now you do.)

Zareen Bakara, I feel like the Neath has enough problems without inviting Feanor in. On the other hand, he might unite all disparate factions in their awe at what an asshole he is . . .

To drag this slightly on topic: I also greatly admired the subtlety of the character name "Bill Door."
edited by an_ocelot on 10/29/2015

--

+3 link
Zareen Bakara
Zareen Bakara

10/29/2015
an_ocelot wrote:

Zareen Bakara, I feel like the Neath has enough problems without inviting Feanor in. On the other hand, he might unite all disparate factions in their awe at what an asshole he is . . .

Oh surely there are enough assholish factions "down here" for at least some of them to find him sympathetic. I wonder what a Dawn Machine with a Silmaril at its heart would look like...

But, really, enough off-topic nonsense from me. It's just so nice to find fellow Silmarillion fans anywhere. smile

--
An authoress of Persian and Abyssinian origins, come to London on a personal matter. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Zareen~Bakara
+4 link
dov
dov

10/29/2015
Zareen Bakara wrote:
Fëanor's follies make him more suited to the Neath than any other Tolkien character who comes to my mind.

Oh, I don't know. I can see Denethor selling Minas Tirith to the Masters in exchange for saving the life of Boromir (and possibly Faramir).

------
edited by dov on 10/29/2015

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+5 link
dov
dov

10/29/2015
an_ocelot wrote:
I also greatly admired the subtlety of the character name &quotBill Door.&quot

Indeed a great character name. I also very much like "Lady Door".

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

10/29/2015
dov wrote:
Oh, I don't know. I can see Denethor selling Minath Tirith to the Masters in exchange for saving the life of Boromir (and possibly Faramir).

I literally just screamed under my breath at this. You're brilliant.

(I'm putting this up there with the Mad Max: Fury Road fusion, because I will go to my grave believing that Imperator Luthien and Mad Beren ought to be a thing.)
edited by an_ocelot on 10/29/2015

--

+1 link
fortluna
fortluna

10/29/2015
Zareen Bakara wrote:

Oh surely there are enough assholish factions "down here" for at least some of them to find him sympathetic. I wonder what a Dawn Machine with a Silmaril at its heart would look like...

But, really, enough off-topic nonsense from me. It's just so nice to find fellow Silmarillion fans anywhere. smile

I am SO GLAD to find this comparison from someone else - I lurched from a summer fascination with the Dawn Machine straight into the Silmarillion, and the parallels of creating stellar replacements against the the everlasting night caught my eye.

• Let's say Feanor is firmly on the Nemesis track - then what of Fingolfin, or even Galadriel? (would she diminish back up the Canal, or has she founded Aestival?)
    Thingol as the Khanate? (and even more reasons to avoid Savior's Rocks.....ungoliant's brood...Dsmile
  • +2 link
    phryne
    phryne

10/29/2015
    I'll let you know I'm not too displeased with the Tolkien turn in this thread. wink

fortluna, thanks to you I will now always think "visiting Galadriel" when going to Aestival (though I think she would be more drawn to the starlight at the Avid Horizon....)
    edited by phryne on 10/29/2015

--
    a Scarlet Sainta Monster-Huntera Memory
    Exceptional Stories poll results: 20162017
    List of useful thingsFavours & Renown Guide
    +1 link