Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

The Mystery of the Boatman Messages in this topic - RSS

Fluffy Monotreme
Fluffy Monotreme

10/9/2017
It's plainly neither your body nor your soul that the Boatman ferries.

It's more of your spirit, than your body or soul.
Like the ka and ba of the Egyptians.
+3 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

10/9/2017
Your soul is supposed to rise to the Judgements for consumption after death, while your consciousness goes to the far country. Your body decomposes in the earth, returning back to nature for further use by future life. That's my general take on the matter, even if what happens in Light Fingers confuses the matter.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+2 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

10/9/2017
If we believe the late professor whose body may be anatomised at Station III, the soul is in fact only a kind of gas that sits within the body. I wonder whether it might, in fact, be hydrogen and helium - star-components. In any case, it's clear that the soul and the mind are broadly separate entities, though closely intertwined enough that each shapes the other.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+4 link
Fluffy Monotreme
Fluffy Monotreme

10/9/2017
Isn't one of Hell's exports hydrogen?
+2 link
Sir Frederick
Sir Frederick
Administrator

10/9/2017
Is Hell taking our souls, rendering them down, and selling them back to us to burn for light?!

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
FrillyShirt, featuring Doctor Taupe-Wainscot, the Most Boring Man in Fallen London.
+4 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

10/9/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Is Hell taking our souls, rendering them down, and selling them back to us to burn for light?!

So that's where Tyler Durden (who is clearly a Fingerking) got the idea about the soap.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/PSGarak
+3 link
Iona Dre'emt
Iona Dre'emt

10/9/2017
I've also been a mite confused since the Light Fingers Ambition part where [spoiler]you get buried alive and the only way to get out is by bashing your head until you die or to scream until you go crazy[/spoiler]. If your body was so incapacitated that even if you came back to it you'd have no choice but to die again, then theoretically that would be a neverending cycle until something else happens. But in this instance, you end up going back to your lodgings and having a chance to get back at the guy who put you in that situation in the first place. This could be a game mechanics thing that they haven't quite woven into the lore yet, but then it would imply that the Boatman at least had something to do with moving your body back to a point where you could actually do something with it once you got off the boat. Of course, on a different note, that would also imply that going to the RB also does something similar, but who knows?
edited by Iona Dre'emt on 10/9/2017

--
POSI Main, Phiri Ulfur, genderless and mysterious. Their heart belongs to a Pirate-Poet across the Zee.
Mid-Game Alt Vermillion Liminate a semi-independent/morally grey vigilante, seeking the Name.
Mid-Game Alt #2,Lady Jacqueline Blackwood, a charming socialite who always hides her true motives.
Early Game Alt #3, Veracity Taylor a fierce woman with a tragic past and a hunger for justice.

I will accept any and all social actions on Fallen London(unless its a box of live rats. I already got rid of the d---ned things once and I'm not eager to repeat the endeavor.) PLEASE send Phiri anything that will gain them Making Waves. Notability grinding is monstrous.
+2 link
a Nice Friend
a Nice Friend

10/11/2017
Perhaps the Manager finds you roaming the mirror marches and takes you into the Royal Beth for rehabilitation.
If you have a Memory of Light, you get to experience the mirror marches because you are remembering it.

--
Definitely a nice friend - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/a%20nice%20friend
+2 link
Carns
Carns

10/13/2017
If you're talking about going from the Mirror Marches to the Royal Bethlehem, you jump through a mirror. Also, I don't think the Manager is able to go into Parabola or walks through the Mirror Marches but I could be wrong.
0 link