Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Commiseration: Our most painful failures Messages in this topic - RSS

Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

8/28/2018
Needed some tincture to heal wounds from my Reputation: Abomination grind. One accidental 0 turned 10 echoes for 10 tinctures into 100 echoes for 100 tinctures. Ironically, I'm still getting use out of them. :P

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+1 link
Greg M
Greg M

8/28/2018
(sends out batsignal to Chris)

"Oh my. You appear to have purchased an extraordinary quantity of Tinctures." How did this happen?

Sir Joseph Marlen wrote:
Needed some tincture to heal wounds from my Reputation: Abomination grind. One accidental 0 turned 10 echoes for 10 tinctures into 100 echoes for 100 tinctures. Ironically, I'm still getting use out of them. :P

--
Profile: GregM.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions. NOT the next Mayor of London. Fraud, I say, FRAUD!
+2 link
Arcengal
Arcengal

8/29/2018
Just wasted 3 Fate on refilling my opportunities because I was half asleep.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Arcengal
+4 link
Arcengal
Arcengal

9/5/2018
A friend of mine recently started playing after I told her about the game. She's been enjoying it but she was really worried about SMEN after hearing some bad stuff about it. I told her "It'll be fine, it's optional, you'll probably never run into it" and after some time, helped her to relax about it.

Some random just sent her a Betrayal.
edited by Arcengal on 9/5/2018

--
+6 link
Revenant
Revenant

9/9/2018
I failed a shadowy test 17 times... I had a 90% chance of success. London know me now as The Screaming Spy

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Revenant55
+8 link
Greg M
Greg M

9/10/2018
Damn, that is a true RNG-curse. The odds against that are... 1/(10^17). I sympathize!

Revenant wrote:
I failed a shadowy test 17 times... I had a 90% chance of success. London know me now as The Screaming Spy

--
Profile: GregM.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/GregM

Available for any non-harmful social interactions. NOT the next Mayor of London. Fraud, I say, FRAUD!
0 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

9/10/2018
Yup, it happened! Rushing on my mobile phone, a scroll event was recorded as a click.
A click to sell my level 18 and 18 CP plant! smile

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
+7 link
NNNnobody
NNNnobody

9/17/2018
An accursed pile of dung! I planned to keep the location of the Nadir a secret for all eternity, but now I accidently sold it to Hell. I just wanted to quickly take the favor from the opportunity card but I already had seven favours and hit Watchfull 200 recently so the "Sell the location" option was at the top. Now I did what I never wanted to, got incredibly less for it, and am suddenly allied with people I abhor (atleast that one is mutual, as the Charming Devil who wanted my soul skedaddled pretty quickly when I offered it).
So, a very bad day for me.

--
......I'm shy.....
+8 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

9/19/2018
Ouch, that one is really painful since there's no way to ever rectify it, even with Fate. I guess you could rationalize that the devils swindled you into a rushed deal?

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
0 link
NNNnobody
NNNnobody

9/19/2018
That would actually make it worse, since it would mean its payback for the little prank with my stained soul, and I was proud of that one.
edited by NNNnobody on 9/19/2018

--
......I'm shy.....
+3 link
Jamilah S. Wolf
Jamilah S. Wolf

9/22/2018
Being unable to collect Wines' Scepter by a margin of one Regnant coin. That stings more than anything I can recall, save for fatal wounds.

--

Jamilah
, a most fascinating Lady of the Neath who finds herself mingling with Society and aligning with Criminals. This Licentiate Extraordinaire would love to align with the Masters, given the chance. A Shattering Force.
Huarwar Ceiswyr, a Welshman and detective lured to the Neath to Seek. The toll it has taken does not hide itself, nor does he bother to.

Open to all actions, delicious friends. PM for hints Enigmatic.

She wishes for nothing more than to be close to the Masters, for who else can unlock the Mysteries of the Neath?
+2 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

9/22/2018
Jamilah S. Wolf wrote:
Being unable to collect Wines' Scepter by a margin of one Regnant coin. That stings more than anything I can recall, save for fatal wounds.

Same as many, many, many others unfortunately!
Still, 14 lovely cats must mean something! Big Grin

--
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
0 link
Daedalus_Falk
Daedalus_Falk

9/24/2018
I just burned 5 docks favours when I accidentally hit the train w/ captain option on my phone when my hand slipped. I gained a total of 5 cp, since I was 5 away from 200. Honestly, they really need a way to flag options you never want to pick or something. Or at least make it so you can't pick the skill boost if your *base* stat is 199 or higher. This kind of thing is very frustrating and it seems like something that's comparatively easy to fix
edited by Daedalus_Falk on 9/24/2018

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daedalus_Falk

----

For I was hungry, and you gave me rats. I was thirsty, and you gave me rats. I was naked, and you gave me rats. The rodents were gathered together, the cats slept in the Sun’s blindness, and the rats rose like the Moon, in the light at the edge of the cheese.
0 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

9/24/2018
Daedalus_Falk wrote:
Or at least make it so you can't pick the skill boost if your *base* stat is 199 or higher.

I'm pretty sure they already changed it to locking those options when your base stat is 200+. Before that change you could waste favours for not a single CP of gain, which I'm pretty sure I did once with five Favours: Criminals. That master thief sure got me good that time.

And since part of their 'design philosophy' seems to be to let players always retain the option to use resources in terribly inefficient ways, I wouldn't expect a change to those options. I could imagine a player really, really wanting to spend five favours on five CPs (or less), because they just drew "An unsigned message" and plan to spend all their Notability on boosting the relevant base stat to 215 right at that moment, and have no time/Actions left to spend on actions that would increase that stat naturally to 200. Not every player plays the game the same way.
Daedalus_Falk

9/25/2018
Gillsing wrote:
Daedalus_Falk wrote:
Or at least make it so you can't pick the skill boost if your *base* stat is 199 or higher.

I'm pretty sure they already changed it to locking those options when your base stat is 200+. Before that change you could waste favours for not a single CP of gain, which I'm pretty sure I did once with five Favours: Criminals. That master thief sure got me good that time.

And since part of their 'design philosophy' seems to be to let players always retain the option to use resources in terribly inefficient ways, I wouldn't expect a change to those options. I could imagine a player really, really wanting to spend five favours on five CPs (or less), because they just drew "An unsigned message" and plan to spend all their Notability on boosting the relevant base stat to 215 right at that moment, and have no time/Actions left to spend on actions that would increase that stat naturally to 200. Not every player plays the game the same way.

I suppose that's fair, but all the same, playing on mobile (the direction things seem to be going in terms of design) DOES seem to have a concurrently higher risk of mis-clicks. I dunno; seems like there has to be room for adjustment there.

Like, at the end of the day losing 5 favours (or 20 expedition supplies) is a bummer, but it's not a huge deal in the end - whereas doing something like accidentally selling the nadir or your plant might be VERY frustrating.
edited by Daedalus_Falk on 9/25/2018

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daedalus_Falk

----

For I was hungry, and you gave me rats. I was thirsty, and you gave me rats. I was naked, and you gave me rats. The rodents were gathered together, the cats slept in the Sun’s blindness, and the rats rose like the Moon, in the light at the edge of the cheese.
+3 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

9/28/2018
Just as I clicked on "A buccaneering approach" I noticed that when I last left the expedition storylet to save 8 Actions in case of an opportunity to 'Use my goat's... unique talents', I had "A sign?" waiting for me. 4 free expedition supplies thus wasted. It never ends. All the little failures that occur all the time. It really hurts! D:
+2 link
Aniline
Aniline

9/29/2018
I was going for Nota 12 and TTH was approaching. I know exactly when it hits (4:58pm Monday local time) and was worried I wouldn't make it. No Salons, no Nights on the Town, no POSI spesh.

Drew the Bazaar lodgings card, kept it in my hand for a while waiting for the 7th Society favour. No luck: no Society card, no slug, no sedan, no party. The amanuensis appears and I sink the favours into the appropriate option for a very small waves gain. The next card is the sedan, yup.

It's about 2 hours left, I have a stack of ToTs and see sideconverting doesn't cut it. Trying to host a dinner, it turns out my characters aren't acquainted, so I waste an action remedying the situation. The dinner isn't all that effective.

An hour and 6 actions until deadline, I remember I can UPCONVERT ToTs. 3 upconversions take me to 1 single MW point away from MW 46, a sideconversion brings me over the finish line, another action force-draws the amanuensis. I'm furiously refreshing the page, waiting for that last action.

Five minutes.
Four.
Two.

But of course this is Our Most Painful Failures, which is why it's entirely expected that at that moment my boss, leaving for the day and having previously praised me for submitting a valuable suggestion regarding the data model, decided to clarify a few points.

"You need Making Waves 46 (you have 23)"
D__n.

(I could've bought a candle for Fate, but then I'd feel even more of a failure.)

--
Melantha Prescott, the Suspicious Statistician. "3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
Francesca Ayers-Kernighan, bat-hunter, cat-whisperer
+5 link
Arcengal
Arcengal

10/8/2018
From first starting FL to getting my first ever Game of Chess opportunity card was about 6 months. I was excited to finally start going through the story arc.

Then I accidentally traded it all in in the Cave of the Nadir.

Hopefully draw the starting card before 2019...

--
+1 link
Ragnar Degenhand
Ragnar Degenhand

10/9/2018
One of the things I use the Nadir for is to boost dream qualities. I wonder if your dilemma means only the dreams already present get increased -- or can you start a quality you haven't otherwise got, and no harm done?

Any experts with a view on that?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ragnar%20Degenhand
0 link
Honeyaddict
Honeyaddict

24 days ago
I just had enough Mayoral favour to get the new weapon.... And as my phone loaded the page the button jumped and I clicked on "Ask what the mayor is up to"
There goes two more confessions... Guess I won't upgrade any companions or advance the story.

--
Honeyaddict, Scarlet Saint, Canon
Planning on becoming a Paramount Presence and establishing a Colony in Parabola for him and his friends.
Has some strange ideas the Masters probably won't approve of Like some items or some beasts

Please send me a calling card (or letter) first in Fallen London, I will accept most social interactions. (Photographer only if it's a dupe, else not.) I do enjoy RPing ingame, cheers!
+3 link