Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Commiseration: Our most painful failures Messages in this topic - RSS

Siankan
Siankan

9/1/2017
dariuseng wrote:
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you guys mean by painful failures, but I just got rid of 14 Notability while trying to raise one of my stats to 215 by accidentally clicking "Come to the assistance of Dr F______" and I feel like I need to share this with someone and it felt very painful to me

That would be precisely the thing, and I am so very, very sorry.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+2 link
Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead

10/11/2017
So I've got a bunch of cellars of wine from breeding hounds of heaven. I've been meaning to upconvert them, so I draw all my cards at my lodgings.
Drew my first Presumptuous Opportunity card in several days, immediately discarded it.
upset

--
McGunn/Bsymstad is on the slow boat, waiting to see if he can find out what death is. (I'm done with London for now. Thanks for everything!)
Amanda Albright is a *spoiler* now, like she always wanted.
+3 link
Ixc
Ixc

10/12/2017
My painful failure was that I got 7 consecutive fortunate results on the "Steam Boldly" option in the Broad Unterzee. That's a failure, because in this case I wished to capture a Plated Seal.

7 fortunate results... Perhaps this is the work of the Drowned One.

--
Pleased to meet you. Ixc , spy and detective. Inventor of the Correspondence Cannon. Are you a Paramount Presence? Record your name here. For posterity, of course.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
0 link
Bitty
Bitty

10/12/2017
I just started playing in April and until like early August i never got the point of the journal so i just....never used it, i rlly wish I did i like keeping track of stuff

--
Main, Heathen(Nemesis)
Aten(Seeker)
Sook(Bag a Legend)

Open to all non-harmful social actions. Not into RP and will respond normally.
+4 link
parandr0id
parandr0id

10/16/2017
A few days ago I accidentally got rid of my Level 11 Plant. Never fought with it, but had been tending to it for years. RIP

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Parandr0id
+5 link
Iona Dre'emt
Iona Dre'emt

10/16/2017
Some of these feel physically like someone stabbing you in the chest...all that time! All that work! All that patience!

--
POSI Main, Phiri Ulfur, genderless and mysterious. Their heart belongs to a Pirate-Poet across the Zee.
Mid-Game Alt Vermillion Liminate a semi-independent/morally grey vigilante, seeking the Name.
Mid-Game Alt #2,Lady Jacqueline Blackwood, a charming socialite who always hides her true motives.
Early Game Alt #3, Veracity Taylor a fierce woman with a tragic past and a hunger for justice.

I will accept any and all social actions on Fallen London(unless its a box of live rats. I already got rid of the d---ned things once and I'm not eager to repeat the endeavor.) PLEASE send Phiri anything that will gain them Making Waves. Notability grinding is monstrous.
+2 link
Amalgamate
Amalgamate

10/19/2017
Ugh, I just realized my timing is terrible. I'm currently grinding Notability for London's Nerves. I'm at notability 13, and am working on getting to 14 this week. Then one week to prepare, and going for 15 the week after.

...yeah, that falls right across Hallowmas. The holiday where you use up your notability. I'm not giving up my 13th/14th points of notability for some companions that aren't so great anyway...

--
My profile is at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/amalgamate .

Social invitations of all kinds welcome!
+1 link

10/19/2017
My greatest guilts, the ones are remember the most, are these:

When persueing the case of the Mottled Man, I miraculously succeded at the fourth or fifth try on gettingg through to the end! However.....
Of those five attempts, three times did I meet the infernal sommelier. Three times did I give him two brilliant souls, poor defenseless twins, for him to do as he will. Six souls did I damn.....just to continue on with the story.

My other great regret is when I fed a spoonful of lacre to my chatty rattus fabber, who by the way helped me in finding and ending the terrible snuffer known as the Big Rat. I could visualize how the poor creature shriekied a dying shriek, fell still and then turned to goo, which I ignominiously and ingrately mopped off the floor.

My greatest failures are those that can never be righted, and are beyond forgiveness.
+1 link
Eric Larrieu-let
Eric Larrieu-let

10/19/2017
My greatest guilts, the ones are remember the most, are these:

When persueing the case of the Mottled Man, I miraculously succeded at the fourth or fifth try on gettingg through to the end! However.....
Of those five attempts, three times did I meet the infernal sommelier. Three times did I give him two brilliant souls, poor defenseless twins, for him to do as he will. Six souls did I damn.....just to continue on with the story.

My other great regret is when I fed a spoonful of lacre to my chatty rattus fabber, who by the way helped me in finding and ending the terrible snuffer known as the Big Rat. I could visualize how the poor creature shriekied a dying shriek, fell still and then turned to goo, which I ignominiously and ingrately mopped off the floor.

My greatest failures are those that can never be righted, and are beyond forgiveness.
0 link
Aronia
Aronia

10/23/2017
For the first time here, I feel like I'd pay Fate (and a great amount of in-game loot) only to undo what I've just done. I don't know what I was thinking, why didn't I use any of the options I was given!
Most of the time, I like the fact that nothing can be undone in Fallen London. But.
The Last Constable is dead. The Last Constable is dead.
And, you know, there actually is another story in this game that can be undone with Fate. But I don't care for my aunt, let her rot in Hell, I could buy out her soul and resell it further for all I know.
But the Last Constable. D__n it.

--
Lucy van Helsing, phantom de sa fille, a breathtaking and inescapable lady, spending most of her time among the Bohemians, the Devils and the Society.
I don't loiter right now, but I like chess and coffee, Strage Pranks, Bifurcated Dreams and the like. I also accept Calling Cards.
Ask this shady individual to loiter or help with Menaces if you'd like. Out of Skulls for now, though.
+5 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

10/24/2017
Either the forum keeps swallowing my message or I've just triple-posted.

I'm missing out on a 10th exceptional story I've subscribed to because I can't learn my lesson about stupid projects that keep me outside of London. Seven and a half years of playing this game and I've never felt so crushed. I hate the monthly unlock requirement. upset

--
Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+1 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

10/24/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:
. I hate the monthly unlock requirement. upset

You're not the only one. I have stuffed up in this way at least twice.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion
+1 link
Seon
Seon

10/25/2017
Death of the Last Constable haunts me still, but she never really did make for a convincing chimney sweep.
0 link
Gonen
Gonen

10/27/2017
Not my MOST painful, of course, but it stings...
This Hallowmas, when grinding to that 8 Notability, I planned to arrive to my TTH just after cashing my MW to N7. So everything is according to plan, and an hour an a half before TTH I get to that desired amount of MW.
My TTH is around 03:00 AM so I planned to get that N7 and go to sleep.
I called the Amanuenses card, but my actions were depleted. With the card in hand, just needed to wait several minutes for that lone action to redeem that N7.
Woke up this morning to the Amanuenses' card, staring at me and waiting for me to click on that conversion command...
edited by Gonen on 10/27/2017

--
The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
# of quirks at level 15: 5
# of quirks at level 12-14: 4
# of quirks at level 10: 1
# of quirks below level 10: 0
+2 link
Aniline
Aniline

10/27/2017
^ Almost the same here. I had the Amanuensis card and needed 2 actions to get the required MW with a 90% chance of success and one more to cash out. Got bogged down in debugging some code in a VM, switched back to 4 actions and TTH.

--
Melantha Prescott. Extraordinary Mind, EF, A: Heart's Desire, Correspondent, tripping on purple.

"3% failure chances crop up nine times out of ten."
0 link
Slyblue
Slyblue

10/31/2017
I thought Feducci would lower my criminal record by one level, not one point

And this is why the reading part of "reading game" is important, kids.

Edit: Looking back, the text does say "This will reduce your Criminal Record by one.". I just assumed it would be one level, I guess. Is there any way to make that warning a bit clearer for us dummies?

Edit2: Thank you for changing this, invisible powers that watch over our posts!
edited by Slyblue on 10/31/2017
edited by Slyblue on 10/31/2017

--
The Smiling Violinist The Curt Licentiate The Dreamless Truth-Seeker

"For hearts of truest mettle, absence doth join and Time doth settle."
+2 link
earthbourn
earthbourn

10/31/2017
I accidentally kicked the Amanuensis out on his oily little ear when I meant to "say nothing," so I lost 2 levels of Notability rather than getting the MW I needed to gain a level. The favours payout makes it sting a little less, but it effectively dashed my hopes of getting to 8 for a confession this week.

And of course it cost me 30 echoes for a new Slowcake's. *grumble, grumble*
edited by earthbourn on 10/31/2017

--
Tenterhook - A sun-seared creature learning to be human.
The Mechanist, L. - Found what she was looking for. Gone now.
+1 link
Achanei
Achanei

10/31/2017
I once threw out a level 11 plant while in a hurry. hurts.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Achanei Midnighter. Man of many talents and faces.
+1 link
Anchovies
Anchovies

10/31/2017
I was taking a real-worldacquaintance yesterday and the conversation turned to forms of currency. I described Marks of Credit as real things which historical monarchs would issue. When I privately double-checked later in the day, I learned that the mark of credit, at least by that name, is a concept original to Fallen London.

Whoops ._.

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Most social actions welcome. Always open to some delicious roleplaying. Please no betrayals, photographer, or lethal sparring. My Time, the Healer arrives on Saturdays at 14:30 GMT
+1 link
Achanei
Achanei

10/31/2017
Anchovies wrote:
I was taking a real-worldacquaintance yesterday and the conversation turned to forms of currency. I described Marks of Credit as real things which historical monarchs would issue. When I privately double-checked later in the day, I learned that the mark of credit, at least by that name, is a concept original to Fallen London.

Whoops ._.

Well being called mark of credit, alright, but letters of credit bein exchanged instead of hard currency was definitely a thing at least since the 15th century onward, the french had a year-long rotating market pretty much just about exchanging credit between flanders and genova/venice.

Source: Fernand Braudel, 15th-18th Century Civilization and Capitalism. I believe it was in the first volume, might've been the second.

also, sorry for offtopic Big Grin allthough outing myself as a nerd about the wrong part of history could also be construed as a painful failure, right?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Achanei Midnighter. Man of many talents and faces.
+1 link