September's Exceptional Story: Trial and Error

Honestly, I didn’t really like this ES that much. The law is all well and good, yes, and the actual process of courts is something not as yet touched upon (as usually we really are guilty with SIGNIFICANT evidence), but I feel like it was kinda a triviality, overall. If I’m being honest, I would have preferred an option to further investigate the Furnace without having to use it for yourself. (I can handle going to New Newgate or the Tomb-Colonies in exchange! Although that might warrant a warning.)

Hm, I suppose that works. Though I would have preferred something a bit more explicit if you opt not to use it.

Thanks for finding that for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The writing was great and I felt that my character had a more active and relevant stake in this one than is often the case. I liked the characters as well, though I would have liked to get to know a little more about the Harried Courier.
As has been the case in these last several stories I loved the picture for the story (props to the artists for these last several stories) and I thought that it was interesting to see how the overarching seasonal relevance of the Injurious Princess was remarked upon a few times during the story, which helps give the three stories a more coherent feel.
I especially liked how the trial was done, I hadn’t expected that it would be an extended part of the story and was glad to see that was the case. And I was glad that there were various paths you could take to defend yourself. Though I would say that I took the wrong choice and will probably replay the story when it becomes available.
edited by Akernis on 8/31/2017

I did not enjoy this one as much as the last few, but it was less in my area of interest than the past several stories. It seemed fine; more straightforward, but that is not really a plus or minus for me as long as I am okay with my options, and I was.

Is there a way to tell if you got/finished an exceptional story? I feel as if I’ve missed some.

So… is the Cuffed Barrister supposed to look a lot like Nietzsche? Is he Nietsche? The shape of his head and the enormity and style of his mustache cause an uncanny resemblance.

Here’s the list. If you finished an Exceptional Story, it should be visible again in your Fate tab to be reset (as in &quotRESET [STORY TITLE]&quot) for 25 Fate (except Flint, which costs a full 120 Fate). If you’re currently playing through a story, you won’t see it in the Fate tab at all.

Note that the Season of Ruins is not yet available for purchase and as such is not visible in the Fate tab. Some qualities for the three stories are
On the Trail of Some Fourth City Relics
A Matter of Moths
A Night to Remember
and can be found under Story in the profile.

I enjoyed this one more than I was expecting. The furnace was fun to have a look at.

It did feel a bit short though and the court case was kind of a let down, all of this build up and then its over really quickly which is a shame as the choices leading up to it were really quite good.

This was already asked but I’m still not clear - what kind of &quotsteep price&quot are we talking about when it comes to using the furnace for the trial? A few menaces? Kicked out to a menace area? Drop a couple stats by a few dozen CP? Take away a whole bunch of items, all your money, and set a couple menaces to 15?

The hint is kind of vague. I honestly doubt it’s the last option, but other than that there’s absolutely nothing useful to go on: &quotsteep&quot can mean so many different things to different players.

While it’s true that this story is a bit too linear, and I feel the court case was rushed through when there’s so many options that could have been available on how you argue your case while also expanding on the court system & legal culture of Fallen London, one thing I DO like is that I don’t have to jump through hoops to figure out a reason for my character being involved in this story. They have a direct stake in this story, while usually they feel kind of like they’re meddling where they have no real business meddling besides just because they can and idle curiosity.

I would like to see more stories where our characters have such a direct interest in the outcome.
edited by Addis Rook on 9/1/2017

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Passion?fromEchoId=12401862

Another quick question before I make my decision: do any of the choices make a difference to the effect on the Barrister’s career? One might perhaps expect that letting either his employers, or even hell, know about his rather unusual methods might reflect more negatively on him than simply facing him honestly (or using the machine against him); but given that some have complained about linearity in this story, I don’t want to base my choice on assumptions that might easily be wrong.

I agree that for all the build up the court case seemed like a wasted opportunity. I was expecting a Phoenix Wright style back and forth using the mechanics we saw in the Motherlings ES rather than click, click and you’re done.

That’s… not really a thing any more, with the election content, and uh… they can become mayor.

I’m pretty sure the not voting thing is just artifact content at this point.

As a huge fan of Nietzsche I strongly disagree with this. This man doesn’t look like Nietzsche and certainly doesn’t act like him.

Also his moustache is completely different.

That’s… not really a thing any more, with the election content, and uh… they can become mayor.

I’m pretty sure the not voting thing is just artifact content at this point.[/quote]

Not necessarily. Women’s entry to different levels of the franchise, to elected government positions, and to the legal profession, all happened unevenly across different times and places. In the UK, the first female solicitors and barristers were admitted six years before women gained the same voting rights as men (which was, incidentally, decades after women could vote in local elections and after the first female mayor had been elected).

Oh, by the way - I enjoyed this story! It was quite linear, but it worked. Great story concept, good characters. Fun!

Fun! The choice of how to approach the trial was legitimately difficult, and while I’m satisfied with my choice and reasoning, I am very curious about the other options, which I feel I could have come up with equally sensible reasons to pick, which I think indicates that the choice was well-constructed. I enjoyed the characters and the tone, and thought the choice structure did what it needed to do without flash or fuss. It didn’t do anything amazing for me, in terms of prose, character, or mechanics, but it was a solid, simple story, effectively told.[li]

I must say I was quite relieved to have the option to call on the Brass Embassy for aid. I do live there, after all.

This one felt a bit unfinished to me. It explained what the machine was and how it was useful to the Barrister, but didn’t seem to go beyond that. Why did that Deviless build the machine? What was she going to do with it? Why was she helping the Barrister win his cases? I felt tlike what I learned was only the beginning of a deeper mystery, but then the whole thing was dropped to focus on the trial.

That said, the trial was still fun, the Barrister was a rather endearing jerk, and the description of the machine and the things that happened when you messed with it were a pure delight. VERY fun and creative!