OCTOBER'S EXCEPTIONAL STORY: Discernment

Well I’m not not getting the Soul of Salome, even if it’s the same as all my other Coruscating Souls. (Bring my the Soul of Salome… on a silver platter!)

Although funnily enough, while converting up some Brilliant Souls for brandy I got the rare success that gives you a Legal Document.

I’ve found myself a bit confused near the endgame of this story. Is it possible to obtain Salome’s soul without paying for it via Muscaria Brandy?

Also, which option rewards you with a certain peculiar soul?

[quote=Ian Hart]Has anyone tested if there are any unique results for very high or very low levels of &quotTaking a View on Abstraction&quot?
In the conversation, it seems quite possible to raise or lower it an unlimited amount.[/quote]

I must admit I was rather curious about whether it went below 9. Do the lower/higher values have different names?

I was rather annoyed when the &quotGreater Value&quot for turning in the Soul at the end gave me 225 echoes worth for my 312.5 echoes soul. Would not have done it if I’d know that.

[spoiler]Also, with Persuasion (not sure how much, I had 100% chance with 213 at the time) you can get the 100 brandy during the story as payment/incentive to go persuade the Bishop, which you can later use to buy the Soul.

The Queer Soul requires a Spirifer’s Fork to take it yourself.[/spoiler]
edited by Faey on 9/25/2015

I enjoyed the story! A bit on the short side, but plenty of interesting lore. I am glad I didn’t get the soul of Salome! I didn’t have the payment for it, and I didn’t have the patience to grind. Should’ve negotiated for a fee though, I’d have liked a little more sherry for my collection. For, uh, just in case I might need it…

A question though: is there any route where the Bishop does come to harm, as implied by the Deviless when she confronts you?

EDIT: Gah, mistyped! Was probably thinking of the price of Salome’s soul… thanks to Optimatum for pointing it out!
edited by Siana on 9/27/2015

Negotiating gives you 100 Sherry, not Brandy. Quite a bit less impressive.

The only ways in which he might be harmed are if you choose to kidnap him (though he isn’t actually injured I believe) and when the poet gets annoyed with him and throws stuff.

edited by Optimatum on 9/25/2015
edited by Optimatum on 9/25/2015

Other than actually getting the fork out to get that little orange shroomy thing bottled up, are there any branches unlocked by the Soul Trade’s fork or watch?

I loved the story, but the ending text is really inaccurate; I am super bummed! I’m saving up for Cider & a Goat some day, and I traded the soul for ‘something more expensive’ which turned out to be 100 echoes cheaper :-/.

The watch unlocks views upon abstraction, along with a few conversation pieces with the poet. I don’t think there’s anything else, though.

For a goat, this is a minor, but not unnoticable, setback. Less than 1% of the Super Capra.
For Cider? It’s such a miniscule fraction of the grind that you won’t even notice. 0.0625% of the cost. When you’re rolling deep into the 6 figures, 100 Echoes is a barely noticeable rounding error.
I wouldn’t worry about it. If you’re focused on long term grinds, such a petty amount of Echo loss shouldn’t cause you to bat an eye.

I have a question:

if I

ask about salomes soul, can I still buy it for the brandy?

Haven’t played this yet but am wondering if there are any options open or closed by having a soul stained by Seeking. How about if you are soulless?

A couple of options actually open up for those of us with Stained Souls.

Thanks, from what I have heard this sounds like it might be fun, not checking journals as I don’t want to be spoiled.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]A couple of options actually open up for those of us with Stained Souls.[/quote]Anything with disastrous results? Or is this just for flavour?

Flavour. I’m stained and enhanced and walked away unscathed and none the worse.
Can’t say the same for the Deviless. Rues the day she heard the name Overstreet, I reckon.

[quote=Anstruther Barron]I have a question:

if I

ask about salomes soul, can I still buy it for the brandy?

Yes.

[color=#ff9900]We’ve amended the rewards on the final &quotReturn the soul to its original home&quot option of this story. It now grants the intended, more generous, value. If you chose this option before and received the lesser rewards, drop us a support ticket and we’ll apply the difference.[/color]

[quote=metasynthie][quote=Ian Hart]Has anyone tested if there are any unique results for very high or very low levels of &quotTaking a View on Abstraction&quot?
In the conversation, it seems quite possible to raise or lower it an unlimited amount.[/quote]

I must admit I was rather curious about whether it went below 9. Do the lower/higher values have different names?[/quote]

I just brought it down to 0, and I saw the same from 1 all the way up to 8 (my starting value.) I guess I’ll now try grinding it in the other direction. I wish I could look up what, if anything, this actually effects.

Edit: at 10 it becomes &quotNeutral on the aesthetics of souls&quot
edited by Ian Hart on 9/25/2015

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]Flavour. I’m stained and enhanced and walked away unscathed and none the worse.
Can’t say the same for the Deviless. Rues the day she heard the name Overstreet, I reckon.[/quote]Thanks for the confirmation.

You can never be too sure with Stained souls when devils are involved.