May Exceptional Story: The Pentecost Predicament

Domitian is in the smoking room. I think he appears there a little after midnight.

edited by Hark DeGaul on 4/29/2016

You now can’t raise it above 100 I think. I got my progress up there and it took me straight there (which was a shame because I wanted to see what the accomplice card would do for once.)[/quote][/li][li][/li]Thanks - I just noticed that. I think I’d seen something that said it needed to be 75 and when I hit that and didn’t get the end-game card, I thought I needed to keep going. That’s a start, at least, but I’m still tired of Flash Lays, particularly in Exceptional Stories.

[li]

I enjoyed the time mechanics of the story very much. And the ending was one that clearly separated me from my character. I would be diplomatic and at least hear the apes’ side of story. Professor Strix saw

an ape with a spirifer fork and well. Things got a bit violent. She doesn’t react well to those forks, I’m afraid.
My only regret is that, by choosing this end, I never heard what the apes were doing in London. Now I’m curious.

[quote=Professor Strix]I enjoyed the time mechanics of the story very much. And the ending was one that clearly separated me from my character. I would be diplomatic and at least hear the apes’ side of story. Professor Strix saw

an ape with a spirifer fork and well. Things got a bit violent. She doesn’t react well to those forks, I’m afraid.
My only regret is that, by choosing this end, I never heard what the apes were doing in London. Now I’m curious.
[/quote]

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/suinicide?fromEchoId=8443128
Here you go

Overview of how I played the story under the cut

[spoiler]
-I beat up Livia and Domitian.

-I was going to help the merchant-captain and his family, and I got all set up to do that, but in the end I didn’t need his help with the trap because my Dangerous was high enough to duel the Boss Monkey and beat him without any risk of losing. I might have wanted to speak to the merchant-captain and see what happened to his family. I figure I did save them, just by de-monkeying his house, but it would have been nice to have that part wrapped up &quoton-screen,&quot too.

-I didn’t let Boss Monkey finish his book. You can’t trust a Pentecost ape. Did anyone let him finish those last two pages?

-They all got put in the Labyrinth of Tigers and I got ten common souls and one unique soul, Vespasian’s Prize. Also a Primaeval Hint, of course. Did anyone get something else?

-I still don’t understand what the happy child was about.

I was amused to see what happened to the Delightful Adventuress post-Sunless Sea. It looks like the experience did nothing to humble her whatsoever.[/spoiler]

I wanted to mention that I really liked the introduction of a way to avoid graphic gross-out text if the player wants to. That was a really nice touch and I don’t think I’ve seen it before in this game.

When you have ‘Hunting a Pentacoast Age 10’ are there any story options at the University of the Labyrinth of Tigers? I’ve yet to open a way to either.

That was the youngest child of Merchant-Captain. He didn’t mistreat the Apes, so they treated him well in return once they took over. Hearing about that- and the fact that Vespasian agreed to let the rest of the family go out of compassion to the boy- made me confident that I made the right choice at the end.[li]

And @Anne Auclair: There are not any options in either of those places.

Thank you, suinicide!

[spoiler]It really wouldn’t have made any difference in my choices after what I saw in that house, and I knew it. I was just curious.

Jesus, Vespasian, you are either so cynical that you deserved each of the punches the Professor gave you or you are even more clueless than the Rubbery Men.

My route was very similar to Lamea’s. I poisoned wines, opened the family’s cage and then… Straightfoward dangerous challenge, so I just punched the monkey. It didn’t made me mad simply because, as I said, my character would have gone bersek on Vespasian anyway. She has a short fuse and a deep distate for souls being displaced.
[/spoiler]

Oh, forgot to add: I second Lamea, not seeing graphic content was nice. I’m very empathetic to those things and would have had a hard time. I’m still queasy after reading a graphic description of a hit-and-run scenario some years ago.
edited by Professor Strix on 4/29/2016

Thank you ^_[1]

1. /li ↩︎

I really enjoyed this one. I combed the area, poisoned Vespasian’s drink, and listened to his explanation. I wish I could have entreated him to see the error of his ways (two wrongs do not make a right, etc.), but that wasn’t an option.

In light of what happened to the banker, I could not possibly let him be. I took him out with the spirifer’s fork after he finished his book.

Pros
-The mechanic for exploring the house was really fun! I liked that new things could happen at different times, but also that it didn’t cost time just to enter and then leave a room to see if there was anything new going on. The time limit hit the sweet spot where I felt pressured but not seriously stressed, especially since between the key and the better sense of where everything was, I felt confident that the worst case scenario would be spending one more night - and a part of me was interested to see what would happen if that became necessary, too!

-The range of choices for the conclusion was fantastic! I always enjoy having interesting choices to make, but in this case it was especially satisfying because in non-interactive media, it seems like this sort of story (marginalized villain commits atrocities in the name of fighting marginalization, questions whether the status quo is any better when called on it) only ever has one type of ending, and I HATE IT SO MUCH! There was a lot about what the apes were doing that I did not like at all, but I respected what they were trying to accomplish, and I’m glad that I was able to reach a sort of compromise with them.

Con
-Why in the world would you decide to pad it with a Flash Lay that doesn’t even have any customized cards? If you were worried that it was too short without the padding… well, this &quotsolution&quot did nothing but draw attention to that. I loved the story and mechanics of the mansion exploration enough that I doubt I would have felt ripped off because it was short. The padding signals to me that I SHOULD feel ripped off, because apparently someone felt it wasn’t long enough to be a good value and yet was too lacking in time or creativity to actually fix that.

All in all: four stars!
edited by Ember on 4/30/2016

I was disappointed that there wasn’t anything special about the Flash Lay. I didn’t mind it being there per se, but I was disappointed by it being generic.

This may be an odd question, and a minor spoiler, but do you get to keep the berries or acquire another set of berries if you use them? I want to use them, but if I can permanently keep the berries in my inventory as an added memento I’d like to hang onto them, unless there’s a good reason not to… If anyone knows, no other spoilers beyond that please.
edited by Harlocke on 4/30/2016
edited by Harlocke on 4/30/2016

You lose most of what you used in the mansion, like the key, so I’m not sure if you keep the berries.

I am certain you lose the berries.

Whether or not you use them?

If so, it’s a shame. I would love to keep a rare exotic fruit from across the zee in my collection. I was hoping I could use them, then scoop up a second handful from the garden as a keepsake. But if they’re going to get removed from my inventory either way…

Yeah, I remember because I was surprised to see you lose them at the end. (Admittedly, I did use mine trying to poison all of the monkeys (I was pretty disappointed with that))
edited by suinicide on 4/30/2016

It’s odd that it’s an inventory item and not just a quality. I believe the mansion key is just a quality.

I believe than being a bleeding-heart, liberal lady, I made a choice to keep me awake at nights… which is the point of Fallen London anyway, right? No perfect endings - no ending really. I loved the happy child and the way his existence provides choices in the end.

That’s strange. I’ve done this story on two different accounts and I don’t think I ever encountered the happy child.