June's Exceptional Story: Web of the Motherlings

Is there a large image for the Lugubrious Seamstress as well? Loving the art for this one again…

Some of the issues players have with the Manager have been expressed here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24232-why-i-fell-out-of-love-with-the-game.aspx?Page=2
If you are not aware of this piece of lore, check it out: it will make the upcoming ES much better.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Some of the issues players have with the Manager have been expressed here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24232-why-i-fell-out-of-love-with-the-game.aspx?Page=2
If you are not aware of this piece of lore, check it out: it will make the upcoming ES much better.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip.

I enjoyed the story and like many of you here genuinely had to pause at the decisions. I’m annoyed at myself for my loyalty to an Amused Lordship and merely adding a meagre collection of trinkets to his collection but…I would very much like to progress the Dilmun Club storyline and read that it will be part of the new update so didn’t want to harm my chances to progress.

I split with the envoy because I love the lore of the Khanate and its depiction in Sunless Seas. Really evocative imagery.

I wanted to side with the seamstress because I like mysterious cults but I don’t like spiders and have too many spider council corpses to my name to make that a safe alliance.

Loved this story, mostly for the reasons already stated.

It’s also worth mentioning how wonderful the amount of choices for the fight was. I expected to get a single storylet or 2 options total, not a chain of events during which I could freely alternate between honourable melee and underhanded trappings.

It was a pleasant surprise.

I’m intrigued by the prospect of a whole Season focusing on the Fallen Cities, and I liked this story a lot.

The fight scene was very enjoyable, especially since you could forgo any real fighting: after all my character Eva May Canning’s abilities lie elsewhere, so I picked only the shadowy options with pitfalls and tripwires and whatnot. Watching the Envoy blundering through them was fun ;)

I will definitely play this one again on my other, more martial-arts-competent character Lady Orosenn, to experience the story in a different light - which is something I rarely do!

Also, I hope there’ll be a Spider-Senate in Sunless Skies! :D
edited by phryne on 5/26/2017

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Some of the issues players have with the Manager have been expressed here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24232-why-i-fell-out-of-love-with-the-game.aspx?Page=2
If you are not aware of this piece of lore, check it out: it will make the upcoming ES much better.[/quote]

Also, the b—ard demands all your recurring dreams as a price for proceeding in the Hearts Desire ambition. Lost a whole year of What The Thunder Said that way.

I gave the relics to His Amused Lordship, but now I’m not sure I did the right thing. I’m very much Team Anti-Spider, but those cultists exist. They’re citizens of our society, and she basically wanted to advance the lot of them and their masters by embracing their heritage. I like that she was opposed to giving up both eyes. Maybe the Motherlings had a more progressive relationship with their khanate followers than the spider councils of the modern age.

I’d be sympathetic towards the seamstress’ desire to actually use the relics, if she was trying to do something other than make an unspeakable spider monster. With that option ruled out, despite my curiosity, I decided to take the diplomatic approach and split the relics. Nobody was really happy, but that’s the cost of compromise.

Does anyone have a journal entry of what happens if you give them to the envoy?

I read the journal entry if you side with the seamstress. If I understand the cultists’ objective correctly, are they trying to fertilize the sun into being an egg to hatch a galactic space spider?

Dirae Erinyes had a protective day, with investigating and fighting. They split the artifacts with the envoy because they like their spider small and cute. The only downside is that the envoy might find dinner uncomfortable with Evensong staring them down the whole time. . .
Solid story overall, fun but probably not one of my favorites. I enjoyed the fact that the gave us dangerous focused character some love with the fight. Wish the player could have learned more about the motherlings through out the story.

This was a fun story. I ended up giving the relics to His Amused Lordship because the Khaganians were being too pushy and needed reminding that the Forgotten Quarter is far closer to London than it is to Khan’s Glory.

btw, I noticed that there wasn’t any special quality given to my character upon the completion of this story. You know, a little icon under &quotStory&quot with a description like &quotYou have resolved X for better or for worse, usually worse.&quot I’m wondering if this was the case for everyone else or just me and whether the lack of a completion quality is intended or if its some sort of bug?

Edit
I sent an email to support asking if the lack of a Story quality is a bug. It probably isn’t, but there’s no harm in making sure.
edited by Anne Auclair on 5/27/2017

btw, did anyone decide to give all the relics to the Envoy?

[quote=Anne Auclair]This was a fun story. I ended up giving the relics to His Amused Lordship because the Khaganians were being too pushy and needed reminding that the Forgotten Quarter is far closer to London than it is to Khan’s Glory.

btw, I noticed that there wasn’t any special quality given to my character upon the completion of this story. You know, a little icon under &quotStory&quot with a description like &quotYou have resolved X for better or for worse, usually worse.&quot I’m wondering if this was the case for everyone else or just me and whether the lack of a completion quality is intended or if its some sort of bug?

Edit
I sent an email to support asking if the lack of a Story quality is a bug. It probably isn’t, but there’s no harm in making sure.
edited by Anne Auclair on 5/27/2017[/quote]

I think the story quality in this case is the relic we took from the top of the crate as a momento. The one that counts as one of the the three turn ins for the season.

I chose to split them with the envoy.

Reward was 5 Vital Intelligence; not too shabby.

Overall, it was a decent story, some interesting characters. Over a little too quick. I also didn’t feel like I got a great understanding of what could be set in motion by siding with either faction… which made me less inclined to side with anyone besides H.A.L. (who I am fond of anyway). The disposition of the combat was rather innovative, though. I enjoyed that.
edited by Pnakotic on 5/27/2017

I had really hoped I’d be able to talk to his amused lordship after splitting them with the Envoy.

I chose to give them all to the Envoy.
The result was a bit distant.

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)][spoiler] [/color]I received A Tile Emblazoned with a Thin Path from her and a bottle of 4th city Airag from his Amused Lordship[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)][/spoiler][/color]

[quote=Rasvarmo][quote=Kukapetal]What?? The Manager of the Royal Beth wants me to help him with his dreams??

Is there an &quotF you and the horse you rode in on&quot button? :P

Well, hopefully at the end of the season there’ll be an option to take the three items he needs and burn them. Preferably right in front of him :P[/quote] Forgive me for going slightly off-topic (and please delete if it’s not appropriate here), but - your comment made me laugh so much! Why do you dislike the Manager so much? I’m genuinely curious here, not trying to pick a fight. I’m wondering if I missed something the Manager has done…[/quote]

I hate him for several reasons, both story and gameplay related, but in this case, my vitriol stems purely from the fact that I’ve often struggled with Nightmares in the game, which means I’ve had to put up with his constant annoying harassment via the opportunity cards, which usually makes my nightmares worse, which means I’m stuck with him even longer. It’s like the guy who’s mugged me several times coming to me and asking me to help him capture the guy who robbed his house. Doesn’t go over too well :P

If it was just about him being a bad person, I’d probably be fine with helping him. My character has helped out plenty of jerks before. This time it’s personal :P

That was a fun caper, a nice mix of investigation, sneaking, and combat. The final choice was easy as can be. As a thief, property ownership is a low priority but I always fulfill my contracts, so I beat them both with underhanded means and delivered the relics to His Amused Lordship. Of the two I admired the Envoy and would enjoy sparring with her again. I didn’t like the Seamstress one bit; aside from her motives and the spiders, I thought she was a clumsy amateur.

[quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Anne Auclair]This was a fun story. I ended up giving the relics to His Amused Lordship because the Khaganians were being too pushy and needed reminding that the Forgotten Quarter is far closer to London than it is to Khan’s Glory.

Edit
edited by Anne Auclair on 5/27/2017[/quote]

I think the story quality in this case is the relic we took from the top of the crate as a momento. The one that counts as one of the the three turn ins for the season.[/quote]
The relic is the end of season item trade-in.

This one was pretty fun. Fleshy spent most of the story scared to death of the Envoy, because the artwork kind of made her look like someone who could rip out his heart and then make him eat it (he even forced himself to drink some tea rather than refuse her offer. He promptly threw up afterward :P ), but in the end found his courage and kicked both her and the seamtress’s butts. The final battle was definitely the highlight, and I loved how there were different options available throughout the battle. Fleshy’s the kind of idiot who would fall into his own traps, so he took the combat route, but the traps option looked like (potentially hilarious) fun too.

In the end, I gave the relics to His Amused Lordship because he was the one who actually had them dug up, and the two buzzards who showed up after the fact screeching “MINE!” got nothing :P

My only regret was that the Seamstress and her cult felt underdeveloped. The focus seemed t be more on the Envoy, which I thought was a shame because the Khanate has shown up a lot in the game but this is the first I’ve heard of the Motherlings, so I definitely would have liked more lore on them. I think having the story focus just on them vs. His Amused Lordship would have made it stronger, because we could have learned more about them if they didn’t have to share time with the Khanate. Not a huge gripe though. Just hope maybe we’ll see more of them in the future.

Also, that spider tile we got at the end? Fleshy’s going to use it as a drink coaster. Sorry Manager!

(I’m not actually sorry :P )

If there’s new options it usually says &quotLondon has changed for your efforts&quot or something.[/quote]

No it doesn’t. Any quality can theoretically be used to unlock or change anything in the game, including the quality showing what side you chose here. If that hasn’t changed anything now, it could in the future.

In fact, overt hints like that are pretty rare outside of continuing the story (like an epilogue).