Exceptional Story: The Waltz that Moved the World

[quote=Wilhelm the Stalwart]The conclusion in which you take the secret is echoed on my profile and the secret itself is displayed as my mantelpiece.

On a separate note can you use the items gained from the Flint arc yet, or will that come later?
edited by Wilhelm the Stalwart on 1/28/2016[/quote]

Interesting. Thank you. Though I find your decision interesting in light of the content of the &quotThey say&quot quote on your profile.

[quote=JimmyTMalice][quote=Catherine Raymond]
No, indeed, I still have my cup of Griswine. I am wondering how one gets to use it.[/quote]

If you didn’t drink it in the garden of statues and become a statue, there’s no use for it now. The item from Flint that goes towards the reward for completing all three Heart’s Blood stories is the Collection of Essences from a Prison of Flint, as far as I know.[/quote]

Actually, that’s what I figured. I’m content with that; I like it as a souvenir, and have no desire to be a statue, even briefly.

Here’s a permalink to what happens when you steal the secret for yourself, with my alt Galatea:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Galatea~LaChance?fromEchoId=7678488

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
Interesting. Thank you. Though I find your decision interesting in light of the content of the &quotThey say&quot quote on your profile.[/quote]

Wilhelm came to the neath to avenge a murder, and in the course of pursuing his vengeance he’s done terrible things.
The last line in completion is &quotHe who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.&quot
This is doubly appropriate in that he is a Monster Hunter.
He was once a good man but all that remains of him is a thirst for vengeance and a hunger for secrets that could help him achieve it.

My character also has nemesis, but I encourage reconciliation because my spouse hates the Thief and my character does not wish to sleep on sofa tonight

[quote=Mr. Mercutio ]Here’s a permalink to what happens when you steal the secret for yourself, with my alt Galatea:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Galatea~LaChance?fromEchoId=7678488[/quote]

Thank you!

Without a doubt my favorite Exceptional Story, and quite possibly my favorite piece of Fallen London content, and I’ve played alllll of it.

I strongly recommend “Tales from the Vienna Woods” as a soundtrack while playing through the content, and, of course, to not skip any possible avenue of discussion.

The Old Man and the Woods in Winter are now my new favorite mystery in Fallen London, and I can barely wait for new content regarding those topics!

A truly lovely exceptional story. I found myself hard-pressed to make a choice at the end and am glad of the one I chose, though there were other tempting options. I regret my choice for last month’s story, but I think it’s fascinating that making moral choices in the neath is often inscrutably difficult.

[quote=Ian Hart]Without a doubt my favorite Exceptional Story, and quite possibly my favorite piece of Fallen London content, and I’ve played alllll of it.

I strongly recommend &quotTales from the Vienna Woods&quot as a soundtrack while playing through the content, and, of course, to not skip any possible avenue of discussion.
[/quote]

About your spoiler:

The Woods in Winter sound an awful lot like the Castle of Forests in Parabola. &quotHere is the Castle of Forests (white trees in darkness or black bark in snow?)&quot

edited by MidnightVoyager on 1/28/2016

Does anyone have the ending and reward(s) from making way for the Aesthete?

[quote=MidnightVoyager]About your spoiler:

<spoiler here>[/quote]

My thoughts on the topic, and an unrelated question:

[spoiler]It’s interesting to note though that, in this case at least, the Woods in Winter were explicitly actual surface woods. Parabola can’t connect to the surface, so perhaps it’s a case of mirroring.

[quote=Cash DeCuir]
Today, their daughter descends to the Neath. She has her mother’s bloodied bandages, three leads to her father, and a knife.[/quote]
Wasn’t the Duke the one with the handkerchief? I chose to meet him without alerting the Aesthete and at the end he gave me them.
[/spoiler]
edited by Optimatum on 1/28/2016

[quote=Optimatum]Does anyone have the ending and reward(s) from making way for the Aesthete?

<spoiler here>[/quote]

<spoiler here>[/quote]

And then there’s the matter of the tent. I mean, out of nowhere, a tent playing that particular waltz. The tent has black tentpoles and white lights. Reality, wtf r u doin?

[quote=MidnightVoyager][quote=Optimatum]Does anyone have the ending and reward(s) from making way for the Aesthete?

<spoiler here>[/quote]

<spoiler here>[/quote]

<spoiler here>[/quote]

It’s providing an appropriate dramatic setting :P

Also I noticed a typo in one ending:

…he whispers. They waltz plays on. They do not move…

edited by Optimatum on 1/28/2016

A minor infelicity in the wording of the instructions text at the end:

[spoiler]If you choose to encourage a reconciliation by dancing with the Duke, the text says “You will need to dance with the Aesthete and seek an attempted reconciliation with her, if you have not done so already.” But you are only given the option to let her dance with him, not you.

And then you can whisper to her, so it works out okay, but it was a little scary, because it didn’t seem like it ought to work based on what was said.[/spoiler]

I thought this was lovely, very melancholy and emotionally engaging. Echoes start here.

Probably nothing, but isn’t there also somewhere in Salt’s realm that fits a similar description to the forest?

edited by Lmaoboat on 1/28/2016

A truly good story, gents!

I’m a little curious, though, as to why there seem to be options about halfway through the story to end them early. Does anyone actually ever take those? They seem put in only as an option to not get your money’s worth.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!
Such a great suggestion.

Sadly, I just missed the cutoff for playing the previous Exceptional Story: The Art of Murder. I thought I’d got it to the House of Chimes point, but it looks as though I hadn’t. Do we have any eta for when it’ll pop into the Fate options, so I can try it? I’d like to play these three stories in order.

OK, I’m freaking out a bit here.

See, Passionario is an avid player of the Great Game (and was one before he descended to the Neath), an enthusiastic fan of Sinning Jenny, a regular visitor at Clathermont’s and an old acquaintance of his Amused Lordship. He also spent an entire year in the Cave of the Nadir once (because I took a break from the game and logged off there).

A few days ago, I created a character who is meant to represent his daughter, descending into the Neath to find him.

Then, just this morning, I changed his destiny to the one in which he ends up essentially sightless.

And now that I’ve met the Waltzing Duke, I know exactly what a Dread Surmise feels like.

It’s me. It was me all along. And now it’s too late.

[quote=an_ocelot]A minor infelicity in the wording of the instructions text at the end:

[spoiler]If you choose to encourage a reconciliation by dancing with the Duke, the text says &quotYou will need to dance with the Aesthete and seek an attempted reconciliation with her, if you have not done so already.&quot But you are only given the option to let her dance with him, not you.

And then you can whisper to her, so it works out okay, but it was a little scary, because it didn’t seem like it ought to work based on what was said.[/spoiler]

I thought this was lovely, very melancholy and emotionally engaging. Echoes start here.[/quote]
Oh, thank you so much for recording it!

[quote=Curious Foreigner]Thinking about it, I find the ending I got hilarious.

So the daughter comes all the way from Vienna to take revenge on her father, and what does she take from him? Eyes he can’t use, a secret he went to great lengths to forget, and a life that won’t stay gone for long. And all because my character found it funnier not to tell her how Death (not) works in the Neath…

While you can’t use it in the game right now, it would be very handy if you ever need to poison someone in a non-lethal and easily reversible, but potentially permanent manner.
edited by Curious Foreigner on 1/28/2016[/quote]

A good idea; I wonder if FBG will make that option available at some point.